PDA

View Full Version : Florida Camp Shopbot !!!

billp
09-09-2004, 09:39 AM
During the evolution of ShopBot camps we've had requests for 2 new kinds of camps... a camp for families with things for spouses and kids to do, and a wintertime camp in a place that's warm! Your wish is our command! Announcing the first ever Orlando, Florida ShopBot Camp.

Jorge Rodriguez will be hosting a Camp on Saturday Jan 22 at his shop in Orlando. Bring the family along for a vacation in Disneyworld while you hang out with your ShopBot buddies and maybe learn a couple of things. It's during the Disneyworld "value season" so the rates to stay at one of the Disney resorts are the lowest of the year if you want to stay "on-site", as low as $79/night. Both of us will be there and I'm sure lots of other ShopBot dignitaries...it's awfully cold and icy in Durham that time of year!

As usual the Camp is free and you can get more info or sign up at campshopbot@shopbottools.com (mailto:campshopbot@shopbottools.com) . We hope to see lots of y'all there...the more the merrier!

the two Bills
P.S. We're obviously aware of all of the weather related issues that have plagued Florida over the last few weeks, and possibly again this weekend, so stay tuned for updates on this one...And we wish all our friends in Florida the best of luck....

weslambe
09-09-2004, 05:18 PM
Somebody needs to time them so that we can do them over the Christmas or Thanksgiving holidays. People with children are forced by government schools to attend or fail so taking vacations between holidays is not advisable.

Maybe some three day weekend type holiday would do. MLK birthday for instance?

amy_brown
09-09-2004, 09:31 PM
Bill,

Do you have a phone number for Jorge Rodriquez? I'm about 40 minutes from Orlando and have been seriously considering a new Alpha machine. I'd like to contact him before Jan. if possible.

I've been in both hurricanes now so I hope the third goes away!

I'm excited about the camp as I could never travel that far to the other camps.

beacon14
09-09-2004, 11:12 PM
I speak from personal experience when I say - don't bother going to Disney World over the Christmas holiday - it's standing room only. We had to leave the park by 11:30 AM because it was too crowded to move.

billp
09-10-2004, 09:05 AM
I think we're kind of caught up in the middle of two correct concepts here. Yes it would be easier to bring families when schools are out, but when schools are out it's also a mob scene in places like Disneyville...Maybe it would help all of us, including our host Jorgé ,if we had an good idea of how many 'Botters would change their plans and attend the Camp if it were held on a three day weekend, ( and I'm speaking of actually attending, not theoretical models please...). If there is no significant change in the overall numbers, then there would be little reason to swap dates. Any input would help folks...

daniel
09-11-2004, 11:18 PM
I'm from Cocoa Beach, I just put the motors and Z carriage back on the machine! Had 'em packed water tight for the 'Canes. I'm definitly coming to a Florida Shopbot camp!

bleeth
09-13-2004, 01:35 AM
Frankly, the only things that could get me back to the vicinity of tacky world would be a shop-bot camp or a really good trade show-January works for me!!
PS-been running my shop in Delray Beach on a 7500 gen set all week as still no power after Frances-Wheee!!

Dave

elcruisr
09-13-2004, 08:25 AM
Since I'm in town I'll probably show up as well, unless we are working overtime. We are usually feast or famine that time of year.

Good luck getting your power back Dave! In Winter Garden we managed to keep our power, we just have a few new roof leaks to fix, now if we can just avoid the big "I"!

Eric

bill.young
11-16-2004, 03:45 PM
Hey,

For those of you thinking about attending the Orlando camp, SouthWest airlines has some good deals on both airfare and rooms in Disney World at http://www.southwest.com/hotfares/hotfares3.html

Unfortunately you have to make your reservations by the Nov 18th...sorry for the short notice

Bill

jrodriguez
11-23-2004, 06:23 PM
FLORIDA CAMP

Accents For You, ShopBot and TopSolid,

Cordially Invite You to Camp ShopBot in Orlando Florida, on January 22, 2005.

There will be a casual reception held on January 21 to meet and greet our fellow ShopBot users, to sample some of the local cuisine and enjoy some drinks.

What: Florida Camp ShopBot

When: January 22, 2005 - Reception January 21, 2005 12-4pm

Where:

Accents For You
4651 36th St Suite 600
Orlando, Florida 32811
407.996.1212/Phone
407.996.1214/Fax

Click below for Invitation Information

CLICK THIS LINK FOR DETAILS (http://artsystuff.com/promotions/shopbot)

---------end of message---------

Support
01-05-2005, 11:27 AM
Two weeks until the Orlando camp!!!
http://artsystuff.com/promotions/shopbot/

jay
01-13-2005, 05:10 PM
Hmm. I sure wish I was going to Florida. Have to plan better next year.

With the wind it is only -38.
Florida sure looks good right now.

billp
01-13-2005, 05:36 PM
Jay,
MINUS 38 degrees? Hell, Newfoundland probably would look good right now! Are you rigged to cut firewood on the 'Bot yet?

jay
01-13-2005, 07:36 PM
Yes, it is dam cold. The radio just announce a sever weather warning as the temperature tonight will go lower than minus 40.

Thank goodness I am a busy shop, got lots of scrap I could burn for heat if needed and yes you are right, even Newfoundland would feel great about now.
Man, I sure would love to be in Florida about now!

amy_brown
01-14-2005, 09:39 AM
We're going to try to make it. Bill you gonna be there?

billp
01-14-2005, 10:04 AM
Amy,
Being the weather wimp that I am ( I used to wear a wet suit when I lived in Key West........only for swimming of course...)I will certainly trade the thrill of being in New Jersey during January, for a little Florida sunshine...I think there are a lot of 'Botters in the Sunshine state, and Bill Young, Martha Barbour, and myself hope to meet a bunch of you next week...
Jay- I don't get it; -38 degrees is NOT severe, but -40 degrees is? I think it's severe when the puddles on the ground around here freeze...

billp
01-18-2005, 09:15 AM
To ALL Florida Campers,
Part of all Camps is a "Show and Tell" session where everyone gets a chance to describe something they do with their machine(s). If your project is too large or cumbersome to drag along you can always bring a few digital pictures and we'll show them that way... Speaking of which, a digital camera is sometimes more practical than a notebook for capturing information with everyone moving all around... see you this weekend...

bill.young
01-24-2005, 11:18 AM
I've just gotten back from the Orlando Camp and have posted a few pictures at http://seaside5592.blogspot.com to give you a preview until I can get the full travelogue done. It was a great time and Jorge arranged spectacular weather for us...blue skies and mid 70's. This morning when I left the house it was 15 degrees and there's 3" of solid ice in the bed of my truck!

bleeth
01-25-2005, 10:01 PM
To all:
It was especially most excellent to meet so many of you in person in Orlando. Jorge, you're a great host and I came away rejuvenated with new ideas and new info to go on with more interesting challenges. My only wish is that it could have gone on longer. Bill1 and Bill2-thanx for the tips. Martha-great to see you. Dennis-stay freaky and keep thinking outside the box. And to all who didn't make it-maybe next time. Maybe even in Boca.

Dave