PDA

View Full Version : First foray into complex V-carve inlay

shoeshine
12-30-2014, 02:20 AM
OK so I decided to use a Christmas gift as an excuse to try out a complex V-carved inlay. A jewelry chest for my wife.

Holy #%%$#... this method works well. I was incredibly surprised how flawlessly this enabled me to use a design I would never have attempted using traditional methods. Needless to say I will be doing some more. Total props for the tutorial on vectric.

Maple into Peruvian walnut for the doors. The male inlay was cut out of 5/4 and then resawn on the band saw (leaving me most of the block to do more) 18"H x 13"W x 8.5"D

scottp55
12-30-2014, 04:43 AM
Beautiful copse of trees!!:)
Like the assymetrical doors!
And the contrast is striking. She must have loved it!!:)
Did you glue the doors in one piece? What did clamping look like?
What bit did you wind up using? What glue? Any problems?
LOVE it!!!
Congrats,
scott

Can't wait to see the SECOND:)

scottp55
12-30-2014, 04:49 AM
Oh, What Flat and start depths did you use?

Tim Lucas
12-30-2014, 06:28 AM
Very Nice !

Herb Holmes
12-30-2014, 07:22 AM
Wow ! That is some nice work .

Thomas Cook
12-30-2014, 08:48 AM
Very impressive!

I had to show my wife to further convince her what is possible with some imagination and a shopbot. Great job and thanks for sharing.

chiloquinruss
12-30-2014, 11:24 AM
"had to show my wife" Take her to a Bot Camp, the Show and Tells will blow her away. I am always amazed at what others can do with the same machine that I own! :D We all use the same software, the same bits, the same machines, but right after that ANYTHING is possible!

Love the very striking piece! And NO I didn't show my wife! :D Very nicely done. Russ

David Iannone
12-30-2014, 10:03 PM
That is amazing. Makes me want to watch more vectric tutorials.

Dave

shoeshine
01-03-2015, 04:48 AM
Sorry, posted then went off to the mountains for the holiday.

flat depth .1 start depth .1 Tightbond 2. Bosch 90deg Vbit / 1/16 Kyocera down for flat. Clamping is the easy part, two blocks with a few C-clamps.

In hindsight I would have made the male .2 Vcarve inlay means that you are only gluing on the shoulders, which makes some of the bigger pieces thin. They sound hollow when you tap em. Nobody but a woodworker would notice but it bugs me. Also I would have misted as I put the glue on, there were a couple of missed glue lines that I think had to do with getting glue on all the faces before clamping up. A spritz or two would have given me the work time needed to make sure the glue was everywhere.

scottp55
01-03-2015, 07:16 AM
Chris, at those settings, I don't think you should have "hollow sounds".
I totally screwed up when clamping a 24X6" font(Tapped the "top" of the male when glueing so it didn't clamp flat and "bottom" didn't seat) and had to carve it out. .1" depth like you and on male did start depth .05" and flat depth .05".
When I carved it out, where it seated firmly I had maple down to .095".
It's the only one I've ever dissected, but at those setting there should be almost no gap.
Anybody taken apart one at those settings and have a pic to show glue gap?
Also including very first font I tried---totally missed the overlapping vectors and had to do some chisel work. Found clamping in the center First--Then adding the other clamps work better. Did you leave clamped the full 24 hours?(that's the hardest part for me)
Any chance that there was something like that holding it up and preventing a full seat Chris?
On Vectric forum, many seem to LIGHTLY sand sharp corners on female. Also seems like best luck is with a 60 degree and many had very good luck with an engraving bit with a SMALL flat so I used Onsrud 37-01 and had good luck once I stopped messing up.
Paul Z. did mention it's best to do it all in the same day, as the two pieces will respond differently once cut and exposed to temp/humidity.
Once again, BEAUTIFUL work!
Fun, but kind of addictive and you start looking for "squirrely " pieces of scrap that will contrast in your scrap bin :)
Can't wait to see some other pieces from you!
scott

scottp55
01-03-2015, 09:57 AM
Just a couple pics to show the gap. First one you can see why I now clamp center first. Second just shows that mucked up first attempt. 3 and 4 just shows Padauk repair and what I now consider a "Normal" gap when cut depth for female is .1" , and male has .05" start depth and .05" flat depth.
If dry fit isn't close to that, I know I have a trouble spot.
Was that similar to yours Chris?
Hope I'm not posting too much.
if so sorry Chris---don't mean to take away from your work! And can't wait to try more trees:)
scott

angel and the bear
01-18-2015, 09:44 PM
Chris bet your wife loved it, I'm really looking forward to trying inlays but you make it look great!

Scott I really like you set of pics too. :)