PDA

View Full Version : San Mateo Camp Shopbot/maker Faire !!!

billp
03-04-2010, 02:17 PM
We will be holding our annual Camp /Maker Faire weekend this year May 21-23, at the San Mateo,CA Fairgrounds ! http://makerfaire.com/
The Camp will be Friday the 21st, and all "Campers" who attend will be able to pick up a pass to attend the Maker Faire at no charge for the weekend.
We're still waiting for details on the MF agenda, but as far as the Camp goes we'll have a number of Shopbot staff on hand, as well as one of the new "Tyro" bench top machines to show off!
Keep an eye on this thread for updates ( but give us a little time as we still have a few Camps and the Jamboree to run between now/then)...

ron_moorehead
03-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Hi Bill,

Do we need to call ShopBot and let them know if we are coming. I will be there.

billp
03-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Ron,
I'll add your name to the list right now. Thanks for the RSVP, we'll see you there...

shoeshine
03-11-2010, 02:25 AM
I'm in... already planning on attending the faire, so a day early, and some "bot" goodness, would be even better.

billp
03-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Great. Don't forget to pick up your pass for the Faire while you're at the Camp !

billp
05-03-2010, 12:27 PM
I have already received about a dozen "RSVP's" off line from people planning to attend the Camp/Maker Faire.
We plan to bring along two of the new "Tyro"machines, as well as a 48" "Buddy". And we'll be cutting with them at both the Camp, and Faire.
As usual we'll have a bunch of Shopbot staff on hand to answer questions, and there will also be the standard hum and roar of large, motorized invertebrates, and machinery being assembled all around us as we try to do so...
Please drop us a note and let us know if you plan to attend as we have to arrange food, chairs, passes for the Maker Faire, etc. Thanks !

wrp
05-04-2010, 01:34 PM
To all botters in the area, my wife and I will be attending the camp. We are from eastern Canada (Ottawa) and would like to visit local shops to see what we could learn about California projects

We will be in the area of Palto Alto for about a week. If any local shop is interested we would appreciate the opportunity to visit

My work so far has been signs, musical instruments and other small items. My shop is small but well equipped

Regards Bill

billp
05-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Just a gentle reminder for those who plan to attend the Camp/Faire; please bring something with you for the Show and Tell session. If you are traveling from afar some pictures would do just as well. It's always great to SEE what people are doing out there in their shops...By the way it's also a good idea to bring a camera to ANY Maker Faire so people at home WILL believe you...
And if you have not YET contacted us, please do so very soon as we'll be finalizing the numbers with the restaurant/Faire people in the next week or so...Thanks !

billp
05-10-2010, 03:56 PM
As usual we'll have our 'meet/greet/eat' session between 8-9AM at the "Expo Cafe". This will give everyone a chance to find the place, and catch up with everyone before we get started.
The Expo Cafe is right across from the 'Show barn"where we will have (1) Buddy, and (2) "Tyros"on display.
This year's Maker Faire is expected to be their largest event to date ( and they had over 80,000 last year) . In fact they will need to use new sections of the Fairgrounds because of the larger number of exhibitors/guests expected.
As far as an "agenda" goes we're still planning to have sessions on the Tyro, latest developments in hardware/software, the indexer, 100K garages, business survival skills, etc., etc.
Ted Hall, Bill Young, Brian Moran of Vectric, Russ Todd of Widget works, and a few others will be on hand to speak with.
And of course even if you can only make the Friday session you'll get to see some of the wonderful weirdness which has become the trademark of the Maker Faire over the last few years. We usually have most of our sessions finished by early afternoon so people can wander around the Fairgrounds and watch some of these exhibits being assembled. Then if you have the time, come back on the weekend for a full dose of industrial
discombobulation.....

chiloquinruss
05-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Great line up as usual Bill. Linda and I can't wait! The Tyro sounds like a great idea and i will bring back some data sheets to the troops up this way. See ya! Russ

billp
05-12-2010, 10:23 AM
We've added Jeffrey and Jillian from Because We Can to the morning lineup on Friday. They'll do a recap of their Jamboree presentation regarding the idea of how to market yourself, and your business.
PARKING NOTE!- If you plan to attend on Friday there will be NO parking charges if you use gate # DD.
"Your guys shouldn't have any problems! They should come through Gate DD, the Sponsor/Exhibitor check-in tent."
We'll be the major activity going on during the AM so if you get there during the 8-9 AM coffee session you will be able to park very close to the gate. We'll also have some signs placed to help steer you to the Expo Café where we'll be holding most of the sessions. Please be sure to contact us if you plan to attend as we have to get our head count established soon for the food services...Thanks !

billp
05-12-2010, 01:48 PM
David Ten Have of Ponoko will also be on hand to discuss the idea of distributed manufacturing, and 100k garages.

billp
05-18-2010, 06:46 PM
This is where we'll be over the weekend. The Expo Cafe on Friday, and the "Barn" on Sat/Sunday.....Same location as last year for prior attendees...
Coffee/bagels 8-9 AM
Sessions start about 9
Lunch near Noon
Afternoon will run until about 3 with time for people to wander the grounds and watch some of the major rides/exhibits/time warps being assembled.

rob_lee
05-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Sue Fair and I would like to attend on Friday!
Best, Robert Lee

billp
05-18-2010, 08:32 PM
We'll add your names to the list.

rob_lee
05-18-2010, 11:52 PM
HOORAY! We'll be there. We have a 2X4 Buddy!

Hobodog2
05-19-2010, 08:37 AM
Bill

Pete & June Meacham will attend. Looking forward to the festivities and to see the new Tyro.

Pete

billp
05-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Pete/June,
We're setting up two of them this afternoon and we'll see you guys Friday..

feinddj
05-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Hadn't checked this in a while, if its not too late, I would love to come

David Feind

billp
05-20-2010, 08:39 PM
David,
It's not too late, we'll see you there...

billp
05-20-2010, 08:40 PM
For everyone coming to the Camp tomorrow;
if you have any problem finding us, just look for the large, blue Ford semi tractor parked in front of the Expo Cafe.

billp
05-24-2010, 12:48 AM
We just got back from tearing things down at the Maker Faire, and it was a great weekend! Lots of people stopped by to see the new Tyros we had on hand, and to check out the latest work we're doing.
One of our " Campers" from Friday, Chris Schaie, graciously stayed on to help out at the booth, and he brought along his " brass/wood aperture" of Forum fame to show people. It was a major smash ! Not only did he get a few thousand people to ' test it' for him, he also made every major news feed in the Bay area that was covering the Maker Faire ! There was SO much coverage that today we had numerous people stop by just to see the piece they had seen/heard about overnight! As a result Chris was awarded an " Editors choice award" as being one of the best projects at the Faire.....!!!!
Congratulations to Chris, and thank you to ALL of the Shopbotters ( and wannabe Shopbotters) who stopped by the booth over the weekend.

billp
05-24-2010, 02:03 AM
I've uploaded some pix to the Flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/campshopbot/4634786302/in/set-72157624124075734/

billp
05-24-2010, 02:46 AM
Blog's up too: http://campshopbot.blogspot.com/2010/05/2010-san-mateo-ca-campmaker-faire.html