PDA

View Full Version : New ShopBot Desktop owner - what should we get for dust collection?

kaiaKBIO
02-05-2015, 04:07 PM
We have a Desktop on the way, and are trying to figure out what we should buy for chip/dust collection. We'll mostly be using it on hardwoods. Our volume with the machine will vary from perhaps one small piece a week to several hours a day. The power in the space is 110 but it's possible we could upgrade to 220 if necessary. I'm willing to pay somewhat extra for something quieter.

My father-in-law was a carpenter and his only advice was "get one step better than you think you'll need", which seems sage.

Thoughts, anybody? Thanks!

garyr6
02-05-2015, 04:46 PM
Welcome, Do A search on dust collection first. There is everything from full inclosures ( no need to collect just vac out after the work) to any number of shop vac hook ups, to full blown dust collects to 5 HP.

bob_dodd
02-05-2015, 05:11 PM
Welcome I use a Dust Deputy on a 5 gallon pail with a shop vac , Have not had to clean the shop vac yet as Dust Deputy catches it all in 1 year use on my Desk Top

scottp55
02-05-2015, 06:56 PM
Welcome! :)
Will this be dedicated to the Desktop? Or will you be running other machines at the same time such as sanders/router table/saws etc.?
I Firmly second Bob's recommendation of the Dust Deputy for anything similar to anything in a Shopvac size. Get a HEPA filter if you can, and you like your lungs.
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20693&highlight=desktop
I used both a Craftsman shopvac and a Delta 750cfm when I started and found the Desktop preferred a high vac/lower volume rather than versa-visa . When Craftsman died(thank goodness---it was a SCREAMER) we spent the extra to go the Fein TurboII with Hepa and my ears and lungs have NEVER regretted it
http://www.amazon.com/Fein-9-20-25-HEPA-9-Gallon-Vacuum/dp/B003INE4N0
BUT, we bought ours on sale at about $370 and I see they're unavailable now.
Closest I can find is;
http://www.amazon.com/Fein-9-20-28-Turbo-Hepa-Vacuum/dp/B00K74N81W/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1423175955&sr=1-4&keywords=fein+hepa
I don't see the 5speed vac control I like so much:( For probably 50% of our stuff I can run at power setting of 2-3 and it's and it's a LOT quieter than the 5 setting. Liked the combo with the DustDeputy and the Fein so much that we ordered the identical set-up for our second Desktop we bought a year ago.
It's two different 1-person shops though, so we rarely try to run more than one tool at a time that requires DC. Fein WILL run Desktop and a 5" RO at the same time at full bore, but not as well as if it's dedicated to 1 tool at a time. Fein is Quiet! Air is Clean!
Hope this helped.
Oh, I do know 2 other people that use the Ridgid HEPA and bought it in the beginning when they were spending money hand over fist to get set up, and decided that they would save money on the Vac, and buy Fein when that burnt out. Last I knew the Ridgids were still going strong and they were still wearing hearing protection.
Again-Welcome:)
scott

gc3
02-05-2015, 07:31 PM
shop>quiet>dust collection...not gonna happen

some options http://www.grizzly.com/search/?s=dust_collector_type%3a%7cTwo-Stage+(Cyclone)%7cSingle-Stage&rankBy=price%3aascending

Brady Watson
02-05-2015, 07:59 PM
A Fein or Festool is the only 'quiet' dust extractor that I would recommend. It is more than enough for the Desktop, but there are still times when chips will sneak under the skirt or blatantly shoot out the side of it...No way around that.

Fein @ around 58 decibels. Pretty quiet for a Shopvac...but you'll spend $500+ for either of them.

If sound is no issue, I run an el cheapo Rigid shopvac with the smaller hose on mine. Works like a champ.

-B

scottp55
02-05-2015, 08:04 PM
Gene, If dedicated to the Desktop---LOTS of people use Shopvac sized DC, and know one Grizzly "3hp?" owner who has the entire shop plumbed metal who uses a Ridgid on the Desktop simply because the suction is as good and power and noise are so much less, if the Desktop is the only thing running in the shop.
If using for anything else in the shop as well, then obviously not a good choice.
Saw/shaper/plane/joiner etc. I'd never recommend, But Desktop is a different critter, AND not all shopvacs are the same.

scottp55
02-05-2015, 08:29 PM
Off topic a little;
Brady, I'm thinking of scavenging the 4" bristles off my now obsolete spindle guard and either rigging to use in conjunction with the 2" dustfoot bristles, OR making a new plate by themselves. Also still like the idea of "spacers" like Kent uses for the 2" bristles for longer bits to prevent "Escapees".
Thoughts as to options to capture "escape velocity" chips?
Nothing more than 8/4 stock for the most part.
Thanks to anybody has tried various options.
scott