PDA

View Full Version : Sign

butch
02-26-2015, 10:21 AM
Just finished this sign. 7ft long, oak with foam letters and cherry 26" long pheasants. Used metal paint on the letters and sign ink for the black background.
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=24161&stc=1

David Iannone
02-26-2015, 10:45 AM
Butch, that sign looks awesome. What was your technique? Pocketed letters? pheasants carved separetly then applied? All done by machine, or was there some hand carving mixed in?

Great Job.

Dave

Brady Watson
02-26-2015, 10:47 AM
That's HAWT! ;)

I like the lettering at the bottom.

-B

scottp55
02-26-2015, 10:55 AM
Nicely done!! :)
Very eye catching and pleasing!!!
scott

butch
02-26-2015, 01:07 PM
Butch, that sign looks awesome. What was your technique? Pocketed letters? pheasants carved separetly then applied? All done by machine, or was there some hand carving mixed in?

Great Job.

Dave

Thanks for everyones nice comments.
I did pocket around the top letters, then sprayed and sanded off - then carved the letters from foam and epoxied them in place. Bottom letters sit in a .002 pocket to locate position. The pheasants were carved separately then mounted using inserted nuts and bolts to assure there was enough expansion movement, and to let them remove the pheasants for storage. Only hand carving is a little cleanup.

Just as a side note: Credit for my signs goes right back to the folks here on Shopbot Forum. This is where I got ALL of my sign training from - genuine thanks to the folks on here.