PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Transport

tri4sale
03-07-2015, 09:32 PM
Question on moving a Desktop.

When the Z axis is as low as it can go, what is the total height of the ShopBot Desktop?

Can the Z Gantry be removed and if so how? Is it safe to do so?

scottp55
03-08-2015, 11:47 AM
Daniel,
Doesn't really matter if spindle is all the way down, as DC hose support and stepper remain fixed.
This is my Desktop with the 5.5" Z upgrade and looks to be 22.75" total height with my leg levelers set as they are in picture.
Imagine the old measurement would have been 1.5" shorter, but I never measured it.
Hope this helps.
scott

tri4sale
03-08-2015, 05:18 PM
Daniel,
Doesn't really matter if spindle is all the way down, as DC hose support and stepper remain fixed.
This is my Desktop with the 5.5" Z upgrade and looks to be 22.75" total height with my leg levelers set as they are in picture.
Imagine the old measurement would have been 1.5" shorter, but I never measured it.
Hope this helps.
scott

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to measure and snap pictures, I've got about 24" clearance at one spot then the back opens up to 27" so should have no issues transporting the Desktop.

scottp55
03-08-2015, 06:41 PM
Daniel,
Don't know if it makes a ton of difference, but when we transport, we have the Desktop(if it's not in MakerCrate) oriented so the Gantry is lined up with the vehicle. This minimizes the chance that a sudden stop will allow gantry to travel rapidly. create current and fry our boards.
If not possible because of space, then try to Keypad it to what will be the front of vehicle, OR strap/tie it, on X,0 Gantry leg.
Screw leg levelers all the way in, OR remove to gain .5-2 inches.
Happy travels,
scott