PDA

View Full Version : 2001 shopbot in 2015

David Iannone
03-24-2015, 12:04 AM
I received my PRT Shopbot in the beginning of 2002. Back then, it was a kit to be put together and you could build your own table. My dad took over the project, and built the steel table to SB specs, and setup the machine.

We started with artcam insignia. Great success with the bot, it paid itself off in the first year. Got lucky after it was in place and landed a customer that was great for 3 years.....

After that, bot was used for some stuff, but sat idle most of the time.

In 2006 split the sign business with my dad and I moved the PRT standard 800 miles away to GA. As luck would have it in GA I hit a large job that kept me busy for 6 months on the Shopbot. Then nothin for the next many years. All the while, the vinyl side of the business (boring) was going ok in GA.

Beginning of 2014 I told myself it is time to take the Bot seriously again. So I made the jump to the 4g board and upgraded to Aspire middle of the year. This was a long overdue upgrade.

Will post pics tomorrow to help a little with the timeline. Ipad doesn't have my old photos on them. My intention here is to just tell MY story. I am just a sign guy that has had a lot of success with his shopbot, but now am going thru a transitional stage of upgrades.

Dave

gene
03-24-2015, 07:14 PM
You are on a trail that many of us have taken and many more of us will follow .looking forward to the post.....

David Iannone
03-24-2015, 11:36 PM
Thanks Gene,
Its been a bumpy ride for sure, but what roller coaster isn't fun?

Pics are from middle of the year in 2012 when I was finally able to rent more space attached to my shop location. How nice it is to be able to walk around the table easily for the first time in a lot of years.

jamesburrus
05-09-2015, 07:26 PM
It sound look the bot serve you well