PDA

View Full Version : Texas Shopbot Camp

waynelocke
03-03-2003, 11:55 PM
I would like to organize a Shopbot camp in my shop in Austin May 17 and 18. Besides the usual, hold downs, vacuums software, etc. I have an interest in and some experience with the indexer. I build church furniture so most of my Shopbot experience is with custom furniture and one of a kind setups but I am interested in the numerous other uses people put their SB to. If you are interested let me know so I can see if this is feasible.
Sincerely,
Wayne Locke

billp
03-04-2003, 11:19 PM
Wayne, I think it's a great idea to have a Camp in the Southwest! I hope you start to get some local feedback soon. If any of us can lend a hand let us know...Bill P.

jgilliam@stratosurf.net
03-18-2003, 09:55 PM
Wayne, Great idea to do one in Texas. Let me know if I can be of any help. I'm not far away in Bellville.

mikek
03-23-2003, 11:01 AM
Wayne, I don't have a ShopBot yet, but I am in Austin and will help if you need it. I am in the Lakeway area. If I remember, you are in the Oak Hill area? Call me at 261-5847 if you need help with something.

waynelocke
03-24-2003, 09:42 AM
Austin Camp Shopbot update

I have gotten more than enough response to decide that I will definitely host the Camp on May 17 & 18. My plan from attending previous events and talking with Bill Palumbo is to schedule 4 to 6 presentations of 30 minutes or so each but maintaining the flexibility to extend these as long as the interest is there. The rest of the time will be available for demonstrations and show and tell with projects and techniques by those attending. .I will probably demonstrate what I know about the indexer which I use and I think that I have someone who will demo using TurboCad and the Shopbot DXF Converter to create SB files. If there is anything which you would like to see or present please let me know.

It would be great to have some demos and discussions of software such as PartsWizard, ArtCam Vector, etc. If anyone would like to present something on any of these or other software, that would be great. Let me know if you are interested in coming and what your specific areas of interest are and I will see if we can address them at the camp.
Sincerely,
Wayne Locke

grego
03-27-2003, 12:55 AM
You can count me in at the Camp Austin. I will show some sign templates that I have to offer for the beginning botters.

Hector Quintanilla
03-28-2003, 08:07 PM
Wayne,
I'm interested in taking a closer look at a shopbot in action, thinking in buying one in a near future, what I should do if I want to attend and learn something from you guys.
Best Regards...
Hector Quintnailla
Monterrey, Mexico

waynelocke
03-29-2003, 12:11 PM
Hector or anyone else wanting more information on the Austin event, my email is kodama@austin.rr.com (mailto:kodama@austin.rr.com) and my telephone number is 512-288-3472. I will be putting together hotel info and a map this week. Please let me know if you have a special interest in demoing something or seeing a specific demo.
Wayne Locke

waynelocke
04-25-2003, 01:49 PM
The Texas Camp is on. If you have an interest in coming and get in touch with me I can give you directions and some motel information. I would like to find someone who could demo ArtCam. Also if anyone has access to a computer projector we could use that would be great.
Sincerely,
Wayne Locke

superior@adacomp.net
04-28-2003, 03:41 PM
Wayne: Count me in for the camp. I had planned on hosting one here in Oklahoma in April, but a date with the surgeon changed that. David Allen is in Norman, OK., and we have talked about riding down together. Also, Greg Oliver will be with us. Couldn't swing it to Shopbot Jamboree,(darn!), but can certainly make it to Austin. Looking forward to more info. I have a very limited knowledge of ArtCam (at Bill P.'s place last fall) and will try to bone up on it prior to your camp. Bill P. and Bill Y. informed me they would be in Canada at that time. Let me know if I can be of any help. Doug Strickland

waynelocke
05-04-2003, 03:12 PM
The camp is on and here is an email I sent to those who have responded so far. There is still room for a few more presentations if anyone is interested.

To All:

Sorry not to get back with everyone sooner. The camp will begin at 9AM on May 17 & 18 and go till late afternoon. There is no charge for attending and lunch will be provided.

I live in far Southwest Austin just off of Highway 290 heading to Johnson City and Fredricksburg. The address is 9000 feather Hill Rd., Austin, TX 78737 and my telephone number is 512-288-3472. We are on a couple of acres and my shop is in the back and air conditioned. Mapquest should give you pretty good directions and I will send directions next week.

There are three motels about ten minutes away. The first two are older motels while the Extended Stay America is about 6 months old. The three are:

Heart of Texas Motel
512-892-0644
$60 + Tax

Sands Motel of austin
512-892-3510
$40

Extended Stay America
512-892-4272
$59 Single, $64 Single Room 2 people, $69 Double room.

If you plan on attending, I would appreciate hearing back so that I can have a rough headcount. I am still trying to find someone with a computer projector which we can use. If anyone has access to one please let me know.

See you in a few weeks.
Wayne Locke

Ted Hall, ShopBot Tools
05-05-2003, 08:04 PM
Hi Wayne,

I'm looking forward to joining you at the Camp on Saturday. I'll have along copies of the new ShopBot Control Software (Version 3 for Windows) for those who would like to try it. And, Sallye is making me up a sheet of Part Wizard hints and shortcuts that PW users may find helpfull. Of course, I'm also happy to talk about any kind of ShopBot project or technical question. Let me know if there is anything else I should bring ...

-Ted

PS Can also show and provide access to Bill Young's first project (the Boxmaker) for our web-based, interactive design system we call Project Wizard. [Though it should also be available to play with directly from the download page later this week.]

waynelocke
05-12-2003, 10:11 AM
To all:

I am looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend. The Camp will begin at 10AM but you're welcome to begin showing up a bit sooner. There will be donuts and coffee and Shopbot is providing lunch.

My shop is easy to get to, we are just off of Highway 290. Mapquest or a similar site will get you here but here are more colloquial directions. From Austin get on 290 West heading to Johnson City (you really never leave civilization). When the freeway ends go to the sixth street light, Southview Rd./Circle Drive and turn left onto Southview. Go to the second street, Feather Hill and turn right. We are the fifth house on the right, 9000 Feather Hill. Our house is in the midst of a large remodel so is easily identified. You can follow the tracks from the concrete trucks and others and park in the front yard or on the street.

We live on a couple of acres and my shop is in the back. Just walk around. The wife and son have been warned.

If you get lost or need assistance my telephone number is 512-288-3472 and my cell is 512-589-5817.

See you Saturday,
Wayne Locke