PDA

View Full Version : 3D Buttons :)

scottp55
04-22-2015, 07:07 PM
Playing with Todd Bailey's "Celtic Circle" design today with VCP8 for practice, and to have something to show Dad tomorrow.

http://www.4m3d.com/whatsnew/tag/celtic

One on left had roughing pass with the same .0625"downcut from Drillman1 as I used in buttonholes and to do a vector boundary. Finish pass was with Drillmans Kyocera .125 45degree engraving.
One on right was no roughing/no vector boundary/no buttonholes/same 45 bit.
NICE with VCP8 to manipulate a 3D toolpath IN VCP for proto'ing :)
Still a 3D newbie and feeling it out. Walnut blank cut at Bloodwood speeds.
No sanding yet, But ran twice for Fuzzies.
MY idea of a nice 3D!! 16:03 :)
Thanks Todd!!!

Brady Watson
04-22-2015, 09:27 PM
Looks good. Going forward, try using a 1/32 or 1/64" ball nose end mill. It will cut cleaner & faster than a v-bit.

-B

scottp55
04-23-2015, 07:39 AM
Thanks Brady,
Got One new 1/32" still in package, but it's not a tapered, and never used 32'nd and it's the only one.
Used the 45 for Todd's "American Flag" as preview showed a Massive difference in how the "Stars" showed up as far as crispness goes.
Still a Newbie and this is proto'ing simply for appearance/boundary shapes/etc. and I have FOUR of these bits and cut a lot of stuff with them:) But barely in my comfort zone.
Want to take a few to the "Button Society" show on Saturday and see if there's any interest and maybe use as swag for a certain collector:)
Be nice to do it in one pass. Just trying to get a few DONE so I can sand/finish a couple.
Not like there's nothing to do while it's cutting.......BARELY a clean horizontal surface in the shop :(
1/16" Onsrud tapered didn't look good in preview at this size.
Thanks again,
scott

Joe Porter
04-23-2015, 10:16 AM
I think I read on the Vectric Forum that a few of the guys prefer an un-tapered ball nose... joe

Brady Watson
04-23-2015, 12:07 PM
I prefer non-tapered as well. It's like taking your training wheels off...

-B

scottp55
04-23-2015, 04:38 PM
Need to do new VCP8 tutorials again:(
Told it to offset diameter of bit outwards and was shocked when it STARTED .214" deep with the .125" 45 degree, BUT as first line was only 1/8" long and all others were only 5% step...I let it run.
NEVER that aggressive, and as the model bottom was SUPPOSED to be at .11" down, I was surprised. Haven't dissected the file exactly to find what I did, but VERY serendipitous that it left a .006" skin on bottom that Easily scribed through with a solder pick.
Finish sanded edge of this with the flap sander and dunked it in the molten linseed/beeswax for a bit.
Kinda liking it:)
Now just have to find out what the heck I did so I don't have to submit it to;
"The Journal of Irreproducible Results"
Not really sure 3D times on something like this can compare or be worth it to a button person vs. 5 to 10X less for 2.5D. Have to see.
Need to drop model down another .01" as production model is spoilboard referenced and sanding the blank after dimensioning lost me the original .01". You can see the tiny uncarved flat on top. NO sanding except the edge profile.

scott

scottp55
04-24-2015, 05:01 PM
So Dad said "How small can you go and still keep the detail?"
Scott said "I Dunno..."

STILL "Dunno" :)
Love the Desktop:)
Oh, 1pass...no roughing. material .22" Kyocera .125" 45degree engraving. Only edge was sanded.

Kyle Stapleton
04-24-2015, 05:27 PM
How many buttons do you make in a day?
They look very nice

scottp55
04-24-2015, 05:38 PM
All concept and proto's here...Todays visit we only cut the 5:)
Loon took 15:03 for the 2 passes. Just putzing.
Production runs on Northern machine...180 a day for very simplest design. NOT counting prep and finish. VCarve and it goes Way down.
Really depends on design and size of button.
Blanks are 4X24".

David Iannone
04-24-2015, 05:58 PM
Scott,
Those look great. I really like the 3D button with the ducks. Very nice detail. Nice to see some really small stuff off the desktop.

Dave

scottp55
04-24-2015, 06:30 PM
Thanks David and Kyle:)
Yep, HAD shut down, but going to a button show tomorrow with Dad and looking to buy or get loan of a Rare collectors item button with a "Coastal" theme.
http://www.mainelybuttons.com/
Brady VERY kindly offered 1 free scan (probably because I yatter so much:), and REALLY want to make it something special!
Hope to find something "Special" that we can make our own signature item and will justify Brady's time.
Wish we had a woman along to get her opinion of what is "Soul Catching" :) as not a lot of guys buy buttons:)
NEED to watch all the VCP8 tutorials again, as it was REALLY hit or miss today doing so much brand new stuff.
(ALMOST carved a loon into my backer board!!!!) .4" pass with a .125" bit!!!!!!!!!!
Gotta admit, being able to change 3D toolpaths IN VCP8 is a game changer.
Anywho, Got up and restarted Desktop with a brand new 45degree, linear arrayed 6 "Loons" and dropped stepover down to 3% and letting it cut while I eat "Breakfast" so I have some swag to take to the show tomorrow to help convince a collector we could do his "Baby" proud.
Just wish the heck it was Bloodwood or better I had plugged in!
To Lazy to prep a new blank, so Black Walnut it is.

myxpykalix
04-24-2015, 08:16 PM
Scott,
Seeing as this thread has continued from last year, you seem to make a lot of buttons and i'm curious to know if you are selling them, how much of a market there is for them and what you charge? I'm not looking to get into the button market but am curious since you seem to be doing a bunch of it. Nice work for sure.

scottp55
04-24-2015, 09:08 PM
Less than $1K so far Jack, but waiting for Northern Desktop to get finished product to photographer for Etsy photographs.
Not fair to post my persnickety work as actual items that will be received.
I ship production files North, but still ironing out finish wrinkles and little things like "Whack the HE** OUT of the blank with your dead -blow to FIRMLY seat it in the carpet tape!!!"(Yesteday) and "Use YELLOW depth ring .0620" DOWNCUT EM" for buttonholes(yesterday)!!!!
Early days:)
they just needs to read a space cadets mind and run the file (I already know what I meant:)
Also "Finish" and "sanding" on something this small takes a "Touch" that 20 years of Opal gave me naturally.
They WILL "get it" and will definitely get Faster than me :)
They're working hard!!!
Believe me though, you DON'T want to be a
"Button Mogul"!! my fingers hurt after a proto run, and VERY glad I can ship "JUST cut" buttons North for finishing to add to less than 750 inventory.
Me..... not a penny....and NOTHING to do with the Northern spin-off.
Looking forward to doing jewelry stuff like Gert though! :)
scott

scottp55
05-01-2015, 06:19 AM
Got a chance to get back to it.
Went with the model 1" tall in the Y-axis, .158" depth for testing 3 brand new bits with 4 different NO roughing toolpaths.
Top right was 1 pass Against the grain/ bottom right was same setting With the grain.
Need to shallow up the model and tweak in this bit as it was twice as fast as the bit I was using.
It was a gift on Sunday from another 'Botter:) Thanks Josh.
Haven't looked # up, but it's an Onsrud .25" 30degree engraving(1F spade type?) with a .01" tip. No sanding or finish on these, as they're going on wall as a reference. Ran the same 4 toolpaths with 2 other 30's for reference. Drillman1's .125" 30 with .0125"tip gave same finish but took twice as long.
Bloodwood.

elcar903
05-10-2015, 06:48 PM
they look very nice

scottp55
07-24-2015, 05:03 AM
Using the trials, used the Onsrud above to make a batch.
Bloodwood
Against the grain, no roughing.

pappybaynes
07-24-2015, 07:12 AM
Sweet Scott! I still haven't used the micro bits...can't wait to start! BTW first job I got after I sold the big machine was too big for the small machine!!! Thank goodness there's an Alpha 5 miles from my shop!
Dick