PDA

View Full Version : Troy,VA Camp Shopbot - Sept 6

billp
07-01-2008, 11:59 AM
On Saturday, Sept. 6th we'll be holding our second annual Troy, VA Camp Shopbot. This year we are "moving" the Camp across the road from Ed Lang's shop to Jay Wyant's barn ( larger facility).
Here are Ed's driving directions to Jay's shop;

"Troy is located between Charlottesville and Richmond , Virginia and the shop is just 3 miles from Interstate I-64. There is a new Best Western located at the I-64 exit.

Directions to Jays house and shop are just about as easy as getting to mine!

From Zion Crossroads (intersection of Rt 15 and Rt 250) Go Rt 250 W just like you are going to my shop. DO NOT turn right onto Rt 627, Zion road to my shop but keep on Rt 250 for another 0.2miles. then turn left at the Alder Creek Farm sign. Long gravel driveway. When you come out in a clearing, you will see his house on the left and the shop on the right. His shop (old barn) is about 6 times the size of mine."
Jay's cell number is; 434-981-4439, and his e-mail address is;
aldercreek@embarqmail.com (mailto:aldercreek@embarqmail.com)
I'll be posting a list of local hotels in the area in the next day or so, and for more info on this Camp you can contact me at;
campshopbot@gmail.com (mailto:campshopbot@gmail.com)

myxpykalix
07-02-2008, 05:31 AM
Ed,
Have you figured out what kind of demo's are to be done? How bout something on indexers? Don't forget the door prizes!!(and the donuts).

ed_lang
07-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Hi John-

At this time, there will not be an indexer at the camp.

Demo's will be based on responses that are emailed in as to what folks would like to see. There will be plenty of information exchange for new or not yet ShopBot owners as well as the seasoned ShopBot owners.

As the time gets closer, more details will be available.

One thing for sure, everyone will go home full of food and information!

bill.young
07-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Hey Ed,

Where's the closest campground to you and Jay if some of us want to show up in campers?

p.s. Want me to bring Yellow Duck muffins again?

jay_d_wyant
07-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Bill,

There is plenty of room to park here if you like. Maybe we could build a canoe (or start one) while I/we cook Barbeque on Friday night.

Jay

bill.young
07-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Hey Jay,

Thanks...save me a flat spot!

I don't get much of a chance to build boats these days so building a canoe sounds like fun. One of the guys that I work with, Robert Bridges, is planning on coming to the camp too and he's also a boatbuilder, so we'll have plenty of help.

Bill

ed_lang
07-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Sounds like this Troy, VA camp could turn into a several day camp! The first three days will be building boats and then floating in them.... if they float and Saturday will be the regular camp.

ed_lang
08-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Jay and I are working on getting our files, pucks, pods, spoilboards, jigs, samples and other things together to demo all techniques that will be talked about. Jay has also designed and built an indexer and has it working great. We are not going to hold any kind of indexer class. We are going to run the indexer and show how it works.

There will be light breakfast foods as well as Jay's BBQ, baked beans, cole slaw, drinks etc... for lunch. I expect folks will be interested in Jays wooden smoker/cooker that he build as well.

The brand new Best Western is open at Zion Crossroad now and is only 3 miles from our shops.

If you are going to be here, please email ShopBot, Jay or myself so we will have a head count. Also if you have some item that you would like to see, let us know so we can try and make that happen too.

Jays machine is a 5' X 10' PRT Alpha with the newer PRS motor upgrade. He also has a full table vacuum with several zones and a 4HP HSD spindle with speed control.

Since you could put four of my shops inside of Jays, he and I are going to have several "stations" setup. This will allow folks who want to talk about for example, vacuum pucks or pods to get together in one spot while those who want to see the machine run can in another part of the shop. This will allow everyone to go to a special interest area and not have to sit through some topic that they are not interested in or that they already know about. The day will be fun, relaxing and the information will be flowing!

Hope to see everyone that was at my shop last year and many new faces as well.

And if you need more to get you to come out, there will be door prizes!

Remember to email us!

bill.young
08-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Hey Ed and Jay,

I'll volunteer to run the "Eating BBQ" special interest area...that's definitely my special interest!

Bill

ed_lang
08-07-2008, 07:28 PM
OK. We have Bill Young down for the BBQ Judge and eating station. Do we have anyone else who would like to offer any other special interest?

I hope everyone will bring something they have made. Pictures are fine too but I would love to see the project if you can bring it.

If anyone wants to learn about something, or see something that they are interested in, please let us know so we can have that available if possible.

myxpykalix
08-07-2008, 09:38 PM
I want to talk to Jay about his indexer. If anyone has any type of design they might like to see i'll try to make that and bring it. It might be a good idea for me to bring the different bits I'm using to make some of these designs. I think my biggest is a 3" barley twist bit.

kbyrd
08-11-2008, 10:05 AM
I am interested in how to make long thin pieces of molding with specific profiles such as window muntins or edge profiles. How do I hold down the long thin 1/2" x 3/4" x 48" pieces of wood while the
machine is routing in the profiles on each side?

kbyrd
08-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Also, I make custom windows which require making side stiles with motises and sill and meeting rails with tenons. I have to apply a profile to the interior edge of the pieces. Are any of the processes associated with creating these pieces appropriate for demo at the Camp ShopBot?

ed_lang
08-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Hi Keith!

It will be a pleasure to meet you at the Camp. At Camps, the focus is not to demo a process for a potential customers process, but to demo/show/talk about how general things are done. Camps have to give information to a wide range of folks, from non-owners to long time users. My first suggestion would be to call ShopBot Tools in Durham and talk to them about your application. Hear what they have to say and suggest. Then bring that knowledge to the camp and see how it all fits together.

For example, when you posted above saying you wanted to hold a 1/2" X 3/4" X 48" piece of wood, my first thought was a shaper or router table with a power feed would be faster and the better choice, in my opinion. Can it be done on a ShopBot? You bet it can be! I seem to always go back to a simple hammer at times like this...... I can use a hammer to drive a nail and a nail set to countersink it..... OR..... I could use a nail gun and be done with it. I can even use a 23guage pin and not even see the hole. Picking the right tool is half the battle.

I expect after the camp you will have a much better idea of how you will hold your parts and what you can do and how you will be doing it.

See you in a few weeks.
ed

ed_lang
08-12-2008, 07:46 AM
Centurion Tools will be at the camp again this year.

They will have their own table and be able to spend time helping you with cutters.

They just might have a door prize as well :-)

myxpykalix
08-15-2008, 12:26 AM
Hey Ed,
Talk to shopbot and see if you can get them to bring some hats and mousepads. I wear my hat everywhere and its just about wore out, same with the mousepad (hint, hint).

ed_lang
08-21-2008, 08:09 AM
Reminding everyone to let us know that you are going to be here so enough food can be on hand. Jay is cooking BBQ so let us know!

I will also remind those who have machines, to bring something you have made or helped make and share it with us. Pictures of your project are also good if you cannot bring the project with you.

Jay's shop is large enough to allow us to set up tables for different products, vendors and ways to do something. So, if you want to see pods or pucks, you will have that at one area in the shop. If you want to see V-carving, that is in another part. It is our thought that this will allow everyone to see what they are interested in and spend more time with that topic.

There will be a movie screen and projector so if you have digital pictures or a movie of your work, bring it.

As always, if you would like to see something while you are here, email one of us and let it be known. Jay, Bill and I will do our best to have it available.

We are looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones again this year.

ed_lang
09-02-2008, 08:14 AM
The list of folks just keeps getting bigger. Reminder to let us know you will be here so we will have food for you!

We have plenty of space for you and lots to talk about and show you.

See you in a few more days!

Forum Admin
09-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Weekend ShopBot Events and Stormy East Coast Weather

3566 Tropical storm Hannah is headed our way and promises at least a very wet weekend in Durham, where we are holding a ShopBot training, and Charlottesville Va, where there is a Camp ShopBot scheduled. We do plan to hold the training in Durham as scheduled and we are expecting that the Camp will go on in Charlottesville -- as long as Ed and Jay are comfortable with conditions. Please make your own assessment of the travel conditions as the weekend progresses. Any changes in plans will be posted here and on the forum.

ed_lang
09-04-2008, 04:42 PM
The Troy, VA camp is a go no matter what the weather is. If you get here, we will be here. Remember we live here and don't have to travel or leave our homes or shops to attend.

Jay and I will be moving equipment out of the way tonight and setting up tables for the vendors and show and tell. Jays shop is large, and if it rains all day, we have plenty of room to stay inside.

Check the weather in your location and between you and us before you leave. Looks like the Eastern Shore of VA might have some real weather. Our forecast locally is just rain now. Anything can change so be watchful. Jay and I cannot eat all of the BBQ, Slaw, Baked Beans etc.. by ourselves so come on down if you can and the weather looks OK to you.

Remember- family and your safety come first before any work or fun related activity.

Ryan Patterson
09-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Ed,
If it is not raining too hard Saturday morning I will be there.
Ryan

ed_lang
09-05-2008, 07:30 AM
Great! Looking forward to seeing you again Ryan.

The forecast for here is clear today with rain tonight. Later tonight thunderstorms. Saturday is rain and wind up to 35 MPH. Clearing by evening and clear on Sunday. If you would like to check the weather.com site yourself, key in zip code 22974 for our local weather.

At of right now, Jay is busy cooking BBQ. It will be hard helping him around his shop today as the smell of BBQ drifting in the shop will make me want to eat all day!

Widget Workshop will be here with a 8' table full of products and.. well... "widgets".

AllStar Gasket will not have a person from their office here, but they are sending product for us all to see as well as printed information. Many of us have used their products for a long time so there will not be a problem in getting questions answered.

Centurion tools will of course be here. They are located just east of us in Louisa. If you would like to order cutters, give them a call TODAY, early, and ask if they would bring your order to the camp.

From the post above, you can see that Ryan will be here. Ryan will have Cabinet Parts Pro to demo and answer questions. I know we have several cabinet makers without CNC equipment at present that are going to be here.

And if all of that was not enough, there will be a show and tell table where folks can share what they are doing or did in their shop. Pictures are also fine it you cannot bring your item.

Bring your questions, comments or suggestions.

See you tomorrow!

bill.young
09-05-2008, 08:25 AM
Hey Ed,

Looks like I'll be a no-show this year...it's going to be pretty sloppy here tomorrow and I've got shops with leaky roofs and old boats to keep an eye on.

I know you'll be more upset by the Yellow Duck muffins not making it than you are by me not making it!

Bill

ed_lang
09-05-2008, 09:37 AM
I know everyone will miss the Yellow Duck muffins, but we will be thinking about you while we drink coffee and eat donuts. Keep everything dry and safe. Everyone understands!

Here is the forecast for Troy, VA on Saturday.

Windy with rain early...then remaining cloudy with showers in the afternoon. High 79F. Winds NNE at 15 to 25 mph. Rainfall possibly over one inch. Higher wind gusts possible.

Wish we could send our forecast to you Bill. It is not going to be bad here from the sound of it.

ed_lang
09-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Camp is a go. All is set up and ready for you.

See you tomorrow

Ryan Patterson
09-06-2008, 06:33 AM
Well the storm is here. It has been raining for the last two hours and received a little more then three inches. According the news heavier rain is on the way. I’m not going to make the drive. Hopefully next year.

myxpykalix
09-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Hey Ed or Jay,

I brought back some of the cole slaw for my mother and she said that was the best she's tasted since her mothers'. Where did you get it or do you have the recipe?

billp
09-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Just got home from the Camp, and I wanted to thank Jay, and Ed for putting on a such good show in spite of a little rain.....
We had close to 25 people wade in through out the day, and there were some very good examples of ""Botsmanship"(I think I just invented that word...)
Jay showed off his shop built indexer, Ed showed us some of his carving and inlay work. Richard Coates, and Jack Jarvis brought in samples of their talents.
Fred from Centurion tools gave a short talk about router bits.
Russ Todd from Widgetworks set up a table of unique "after market" accessories he is building for CNC users, and then there was the Barbecue......
I've posted some pictures of the above on the Camp Flickr page;http://www.flickr.com/photos/campshopbot/
so if you'd like to see what went on, please do so. I'll get the blog posted in the AM...
Again, thank you guys for handling the Camp so well in spite of the surrounding elements...
Next week- Sunnyvale, CA !

billp
09-07-2008, 10:24 PM
Before I get a bunch of mail which I have no answers for; the best way to get info about any of the "Widgetworks" tools shown in the above mentioned pictures(granite/glass carving stylus, marking pens, pods, vacuum formers, etc.) is to contact Russ Todd directly at-
customerservice@widgetworksunlimited.com (mailto:customerservice@widgetworksunlimited.com)

billp
09-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Troy,VA. Blog's posted at;http://campshopbot.blogspot.com/