PDA

View Full Version : Utilizing scrap

Brian Harnett
06-08-2015, 09:06 PM
Had to make something with a garlic theme for a show we are applying to. I make cutting boards from scrap when the pile gets high usually they are glued up strips with an inlay but time was an issue so a whole piece of quartersawn sapele was used for the boards.

http://i.imgur.com/bOhqGn9.jpg

myxpykalix
06-08-2015, 10:16 PM
Beautiful stuff Brian. I think i would be surprised if it was even mediocre...nice finish on it!

scottp55
06-09-2015, 05:31 AM
Sweet Brian!!
Regular inlay function or VInlay? Inlay looks so tight it's hard to tell:)
Were depressions done as a 3D function or large radius bits and pockets?

Brian Harnett
06-09-2015, 07:38 AM
Scott regular inlay cut on the boards, The maple bowl was done with a 3d toolpath with a 2" cove bit the round sapele one was a pocketing toolpath with the same bit. Good to find use for scrap I am a hoarder of wood I have a really hard time tossing a nice piece of scrap but logically know it can cost me more in usable space keeping it.

scottp55
06-09-2015, 08:00 AM
Thanks Brian,
What was offset to get that tight(still haven't done regular inlay with machine,but may try for this anchor file today (after changing to .0625"down)).
Ah...2"
Yep:) Scraps still BARELY under control, BUT only because I'm so small-time! It's gotten worse though since I discovered inlay :D
Imagine "Domes" are large roundovers and then cutout/Forstnered? Or do you flip them?
Imagine they'll sell fast!
Your finish for food safes?
Thanks for answers, BUT you're supposed to say "SCOTT ---DO IT YOURSELF!!!" :)
Have a good show!
scott

scottp55
06-09-2015, 08:51 AM
OH, Thanks for inspiration to get me off my B*** and try it Brian!!!

bob_s
06-09-2015, 12:52 PM
Brian
Nice work
After you do your inlays are you putting them through a drum sander, like a performax, or a big wide belt? Im trying to decide if a performax type sander makes sense or not.
I did some and put them through a small planer, sometimes it worked fine, and sometimes it got too exciting to try again. Flying small pieces!
I also tried using the bot, but anything but smooth grained wood had too much tear out when I used a 1 1/2" bit. A 1/2" was ok but slow.
thanks

Brian Harnett
06-09-2015, 03:29 PM
Scott I am using is rams cam, the software is ten years old nothing like the vectric software most of you guys use, I use a O flute upcut 1/8 bit to pocket, and cut the inlay, I do a scrap inlay then adjust my bit parameters to make it tighter or looser.

Vectric will be on the list someday but I like what I have, it does v carve and 3d just cant edit or make anything in the program all vector files have to be perfect before I import.

The crusher domes were cut with a 3/4 roundover bit it was the bearing type so I removed the bearing cut a pocket around the masher head with a 1/2 bit then popped in the roundover to do its thing, left enough to bandsaw the masher heads apart put a 1/4 roundover in the other side on the router table. If I decide these are worth making I will get a bit that does it in one shot.

Bob I have been running them though the planer I have a small delta 12 inch it has polyurethane rollers that will pull the piece through with the blades just touching, my 20 inch planer makes a mess out of them.

I have had some experience with the performax sander and a lot with wide belt I would not get one a wide belt does a much better job without the paper loading up.

scottp55
06-10-2015, 04:04 AM
Thanks again Brian!
Yep, Vectric spoiled me:)
I'd be luck to be able to cut a square without it:)