PDA

View Full Version : Need a Technician to fix #@$%&*^* Shopbot

HandyManBill
06-18-2015, 07:59 PM
I am in the Texas Hill Country (Fredericksburg) about 50 miles from San Antonio and about 65 from Austin.

I have a PRS Standard 96 x 48 X 6 with 2.2hp spindle and purchased it new in 2012, I purchased it for a sign carving business which I started about the same time. I am not a technician and need a repair person to fix whatever is wrong with the spindle not starting once I execute a "Cut" file.

This would be a paid gig..let me know and we can talk price but I have a backlog of cutting I need to do. Feel free to respond here, email wbpatterson@prodigy.net or call 214-207-5263.

Thanks!

jerry_stanek
06-18-2015, 08:58 PM
Give shopbot a call and they can walk you through the spindle problem

MogulTx
06-18-2015, 10:07 PM
Bill,

I am probably 70-80 miles east of you (Austin area)... with all the rain we have had, it is possible your system got a jolt of lightning. Mine got hit about 2 years ago ( not a LITTLE jolt). It took me 2-3 calls to ShopBot to figure out all the problems- but they can walk you though it pretty easily. If I were more "savvy" I would volunteer to come out and look your system over. I am pretty fair on the stuff processes I use to cut , but I am not a wizard on the electrical stuff. It might be as simple as needing to redo your settings or reload them- or uninstall and reinstall the software ( only takes a few minutes to load it from a download off the internet.) Or it might be something that got fried in the electrical storms that rolled through with "Bill" the last few days. (Mine lost a prox sensor, a power supply (low voltage. I think it was the 5V unit) and I had to send the board in, because I fried a circuit on there somewhere.)

At a time like this, you want an expert to walk you through a logical progression to figure the problem out. Call them and they can help you work on it.

Best Regards,

Monty

tlempicke
06-19-2015, 07:16 AM
That is really good advice. the problem could be in several places.

The power supply for the spindle will have a wire coming from it to the control board for the shopbot. It should also have a USB connector that plugs into the computer. Your computer sends the information regarding the speed selected to the spindle supply through the USB port and then when it is time for the spindle to run the computer closes a set of points across that other wire and starts the spindle. That is simplistic but will get you started.

There fore ---- If you set a speed and see it on the screen the USB cable to the power supply is working. If that is so the other wire is probably the culprit.

that power supply (it is really much more than that) has quite complicated programming in it. Shopbot puts in certain settings before they ship it so that it will talk and respond to the small circuit board that they have installed in it. Your problem could be as simple as going through those settings.

As said in the previous message you need to get Shopbot on the line. Make sure you are at the machine with a fully charged cell phone when you do!!

HandyManBill
06-19-2015, 12:39 PM
That is really good advice. the problem could be in several places.

The power supply for the spindle will have a wire coming from it to the control board for the shopbot. It should also have a USB connector that plugs into the computer. Your computer sends the information regarding the speed selected to the spindle supply through the USB port and then when it is time for the spindle to run the computer closes a set of points across that other wire and starts the spindle. That is simplistic but will get you started.

There fore ---- If you set a speed and see it on the screen the USB cable to the power supply is working. If that is so the other wire is probably the culprit.

that power supply (it is really much more than that) has quite complicated programming in it. Shopbot puts in certain settings before they ship it so that it will talk and respond to the small circuit board that they have installed in it. Your problem could be as simple as going through those settings.

As said in the previous message you need to get Shopbot on the line. Make sure you are at the machine with a fully charged cell phone when you do!!
Thank you Tom, Monty and Jerry, That was good advice...I emailed Shopbot Customer Support and what Tom at SB told me in one line fixed it right up and that was:

"Bill,

The tool number listed in the part file is 20. Are you using a second input? The tool numbers for one router/spindle are 1-19."

Thanks to all!!!

MogulTx
06-19-2015, 02:53 PM
AWESOME! Those people ROCK!

Kudos to Frank, Diane, Nancy... and everyone else at ShopBot! You folks make these machines a rocking opportunity to create things!!!

James M
06-20-2015, 11:36 AM
I want to thank Tom, at Shop Bot Tools, for his technical support. Even though I purchased a Shopbot off the original owner Tom graciously assisted me my questions related to the electrical hook-up of the machine.

James