PDA

View Full Version : WTB: V 3.40 control box

Ted D
07-05-2015, 03:47 PM
I realize this is a long shot, but you never know. I have a 2000 model PRT Standard 48x96 and the Z control went out on it last week. Customer support (thanks Frank) got me back up and running by switching over to the A control, but now there's no backup. I can upgrade to the Gecko controller for roughly $1,500 or to the current controller for roughly $3,000, but my motors are old direct drives and that's another $1,600 to upgrade them to match a newer controller. I'm looking at a minimum of $3,000 to upgrade a 15 year old machine. I may end up doing that, but if I could buy another V3.40 controller in good shape and keep going that would be great.

Let me know what you have and maybe we can make a deal. E-mail is the best way to contact me. Ted "at" 7.62x54r.net. I will be watching this forum for the near future though (see below).

As an alternative I'm also looking at "upgrading" to a newer, but not new, machine. I need a 48x96 as anything smaller won't do what I need and anything bigger won't fit in my space. I'm open to PRT or PRS and standard or alpha, but the lower end is probably going to fit the budget. I'm in the metro Atlanta area. I'm open to any location that's willing to ship for a reasonable price or will pick it up within 8 hours of Atlanta.

TIA

MaxFrenzy
07-06-2015, 05:56 PM
The V4G upgrade that just involves switching the board out of the control box seems to be the most economical/bang for your buck boost. I have a PRT myself with the control box you're looking for, but I want a 48x96 machine and currently have a 32x24 machine. If I sold this box, I'd have nothing to run my machine. From everything I read about the v4g upgrade, it's quick and seems like you get a big boost in speed and accuracy. I'd consider doing it now, but I'd rather put it in a 48x96 PRT machine.

tlempicke
07-07-2015, 07:40 AM
I had one of those and the problem with the controller was one device that was prone to failure. As I recall the board that it is on can be removed from the main board. By the time I sold the machine I had replaced several of those devices. I was getting them from E Bay for about two bucks apiece. I seem to remember also buying several from Digi Key.

If you are using the machine for business purposes you really should get a newer machine. Many changes and upgrades make it worth the investment.