PDA

View Full Version : Running the Buddy on casters

jharmon
08-26-2008, 03:17 PM
I got the caster kit for my BT48. Does anybody believe that operating the Buddy whilst sitting on it's wheels ( and not necessarily level ) would have any unfortunate ramifications?

I did run the leveling feet down and got it all leveled up when I first set it up but I'd like to be able to move it around more freely. Messing with those screw-down feet is a pain.

Jim

dubliner
08-26-2008, 03:35 PM
Jm, you'll probably hear the exact opposite & they may be right, but it would seem with the aluminium table & the wheels being relatively close in plane to the casters I would think it would be OK, in fact I theorize that the in a wheels down position it may absorb some torque of a motor direction change that otherwise might end up in a cutter point, but then again I'm only guessing. I watched the machine shimmy slightly on the wheels & thought it might help on a 3D cut.

dana_swift
08-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Jim I didn't get the caster kit for my BT-32 I bought some industrial castor's and made a retraction system for them.

I don't want the machine to move, or change its support once I have it trued up and the table re-leveled. So I retract the casters and let it sit on the feet, then its just slightly more solid.

Anyway that is what I have done-

D

oscarg1971
08-26-2008, 07:46 PM
Jim, I move my BT48 around quite often. I have the casters and only lower and raise one of the feet. And that's only to keep it from moving once I have it in place. It keeps it very stable and it wont jerk around while cutting. With all the feet up you will see it move around a bit while cutting.

-Oscar

acb
08-26-2008, 10:25 PM
I don't see any movement on my 32 sitting on the casters. Now that I've got it pretty much where I want it I'm thinking of putting it back up on the levelers just to keep the casters round, but I may still want to move it around a bit, so I'm waiting.

oscarg1971
08-26-2008, 11:23 PM
Art, you might see if you do any 3D reliefs. Thats really when it happenes to me. -Oscar

tappsman
01-30-2009, 07:07 PM
dana

I have a 32 Buddy on order and am planning to use heavy duty casters with some sort of a retraction system.

Do you have any pictures of your retraction system which you could send.

Dennis