PDA

View Full Version : A different kind of project for me

chiloquinruss
07-21-2015, 01:49 PM
Well you all now me as the train-guy and this is sort of keeping in that vain, kinda! I have done some signs for the loacal businesses and some were rather large but this one used up all my horizontal shop space for a week or two. ;) It's an 8 foot diameter logo for my live steam park. Please excuse the poor pix as it is from a really poor phone cam. Once it's installed in it's new home I'll get a better pix. Russ

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=25708&stc=1

Coogara
07-21-2015, 02:42 PM
Hey Russ, I think that's the largest job I've seen done on CNC. Just stunning. I'm impressed as much with the logistics of doing something like this as the end result.

Graeme

khaos
07-21-2015, 03:27 PM
Love it Russ. Is this wood or a polymer?

bleeth
07-21-2015, 03:57 PM
Once word gets out in Southern Oregon you may get pushed into being a dimensional sign maker!

chiloquinruss
07-21-2015, 04:30 PM
The white background is two sheets of 1/2 inch duraply bolted to a welded metal frame made from 1 inch square tubing. I very lightly scribed the outline on the two sheets BEFORE bolting them to the frame. Then the black part of the logo was cut from two sheets of 3/8 inch duraply. This allows the logo part to stand proud of the backer and gives a light shadow effect when viewing the finished piece. When the black pieces were cut and painted I then laid them on the white scribed background for a very quick alignment process. All of the add on pieces were simply brad nailed with the air gun, no glue neccessary. Fortunately this is to be hung indoors in our main meeting room so no worries about the weather attacking it! I also made a very simple french cleat for the mounting system. Thanks for the comments, I really do appreciate it. Russ

scottp55
07-22-2015, 07:30 AM
VERY eye catching, what with the color and height contrasts Russ!
Stunning was a good word, and agree with Dave you'll probably be asked for more:)
Wonderful work!
scott

cowboy1296
07-22-2015, 11:49 AM
looks like the silverton to durango train.

David Iannone
07-28-2015, 05:48 AM
Looks great Russ

homahomey
07-29-2015, 05:41 PM
I don't see any seams! Impressive.

chiloquinruss
08-06-2015, 12:56 PM
"seamless" well thanks to the wonders of a really poor phone cam, you can't see the SEEEEEEAMS! :cool: Trust me though when I say they are there! :D

I learned a lot on this project, one is that I'm not as good as I thought I was!

If I do this kind of job again there are a whole lot of things I will do different. Overall though, it works for what the live steam club wanted so that works for me. The pix shown is of the logo piece hanging in our main meeting hall. Russ

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=25800&stc=1