PDA

View Full Version : Z Help

angelosart
08-21-2015, 08:50 PM
Sorry I tried to search this topic but found it overloaded.

Shopbot Buddy 32, PC router

My z zero stopped working. After hitting C2, the router bit just bangs repeatedly on the z plate. I reset utilities, reinstalled firmware, checked the clip and wires and connections. No luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks

maverickx50
08-21-2015, 09:56 PM
Try two simple things first. Light sanding of contact plate oxidation can be an electrical insulator. Try a different older used cutting bit. May be a nonconductive film or coating on the one your using.

jerry_stanek
08-22-2015, 06:02 AM
make sure the input light comes on when you touch the plate to the bit.

Brady Watson
08-22-2015, 06:47 AM
When you touch the clip to the plate does input 1 light up?

If no, you have a broken wire/connection.

If yes, make sure you put the clip on the router collet nut or bit & then touch the plate to the tip. Input 1 should light up.

If you had the clip somewhere other than on the nut or bit previously & it just stopped working...this points to your router brushes being worn.

-B

angelosart
08-22-2015, 09:05 AM
The input 1 light does not light up when I touch the clip to the plate. So what should I do if I have a wire connection problem?

Thanks for the help.
A

jerry_stanek
08-22-2015, 12:31 PM
Make sure it is attached to the number 1 input in you control box and also make sure the wire isn't broken by doing a continuity test. Also at the z plate loosen the screw and make sure the wire is making good contact. Do the same for the alligator clip.

bluecollar
08-22-2015, 01:49 PM
I had a similar issue a couple of years ago. Had to bring the control board to SB and the replaced a couple components (schmidtt triggers). This was after several support calls and the trouble shooting mentioned above. Two other responded privately saying they had the same issue/resolution.

angelosart
08-22-2015, 04:44 PM
I checked screw and wire connections to plate and alligator clip. They are good. Tried again, with no luck. I have not yet checked continuity, got a friend coming over later with a multimeter. In the meantime, I have a question as to where I connect the multimeter on the end of the black wires? See my photos. Do I pull these wires out to expose them? One of the sheathings has slid back and the wire is slightly exposed--I'm wondering if this is a bad connection, but I'm not sure how to disconnect them.

Thanks for your help.
A

Brady Watson
08-22-2015, 07:00 PM
There is a tool for working those connectors. DT owners don't get one, but you can improvise.

You can put your probe (if it fits) in the small rectangular 'window' - you can see them in your first pic. You can remove the wires by pressing in on that shiny metal rectangle with a baby flat blade screw driver. Push in, hold and pull out the corresponding wire. Same to replace/reseat the wire. The terminals are spring loaded.

If I were diagnosing this, I would take the Zzero plate and clip and slide them under the gantry (just so it is convenient - laying on top of the table). I'd remove the clear electronics cover with a 3/16" hex and put it aside. Then set my meter to continuity/beep mode with one probe on the Input 1 terminal and the other on the plate. I'd then test the clip and Gnd terminal (next to the inputs...blue terminals like input 1) - If I got continuity on one but not the other, I'd first re-seat each wire connection - push pull all connectors in between the board and the plate/clip and test again.

-B

angelosart
08-23-2015, 09:37 PM
Thanks guys. Continuity test revealed a faulty wire on the zero plate.