PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Max

joewink
09-01-2015, 08:16 PM
Thinking hard about the Desktop Max. Exactly what I want, but looking at other kits. If desktop comes in at $7,200 with spindle, that's a large 36x24 kit with spindle price. Then you have the Max. I'm thinking $8,500 possible for that. Thoughts on other machines? Price for new Max?

Brady Watson
09-01-2015, 08:30 PM
Both the DT & Max are great machines. As with anything else, you get what you pay for. I would avoid kits for your 1st CNC (if it is) and take advantage of the free (unheard of) telephone support, warranty and software suite that is included in the price. Be sure to compare apples to apples.

Most CNCs are not turn key like a ShopBot. You have to pay extra for CAD/CAM.

-B

MogulTx
09-01-2015, 10:55 PM
Joe,

I have been working with several different ShopBot's for a few years... I have done the cutting for a couple of the MDO "build it yourself" projects. The last one was for an engineer. I don't know that he ever got his machine together... and that is a shame. SHopBot is pretty unique and the support is an amazing "feature" and the other one is this forum.... you really could not find a better place to get into CNC routing. ( And none of us will get a commission when you get a machine. We don't care. We really do like the company, the machines, the support and the people around here that share ideas, tips, solutions.... This IS where you want to be.

scottp55
09-02-2015, 08:39 AM
Joseph,
Two and a half years ago I was in the same boat as you, and my Dad asked me to look at a Chinese CNC on EBay
Knew NOTHING about CNC's, but quickly talked him out of it and started scoping out other brands. Shark/Yellow/Blue etc.
Had more of my idiot questions answered here on THIS forum than anywhere else, AND when I called Dianne at sales and you she couldn't answer a question...she passed me onto someone who could....Took me 5 minutes before I realized I was talking to the "Ted" who is the president of the company and he talked to my concerns for half an hour!
Pretty much sealed the deal for me as well as some advice on other forums to "Buy your second machine...FIRST!"
Haven't regretted it for a moment, as it was pretty much "take it out of the box...Cut"
Software is EXCELLENT with an equally helpful Forum and fairly intuitive and seamless.
Repeatability and tolerances don't get much better, and saves untold aggravation to know that any problems I'm having are MY fault usually, and I don't have to wonder if machine is flexing/a component is cheap/loose/etc.
In fact, things were so good we bought a second identical Desktop 5 months later:)
We ordered the second Desktop with a MakerCrate like Shopbot uses at their tradeshows, and the first one they made the veneer was so thin they sanded through it on the dovetails and they set it aside as a reject, and went with Radiata Pine Ply with a thicker veneer. Just shows how the company thinks.
When I saw the MakerCrate and how stable it was on the second machine, I called to order one for me:)
Dianne, said the "Reject" was available, and because it wasn't assembled that they could "flat pack" it and save me $175 shipping.
Turns out there were some extra parts in the first "MakerCrate" That Bill Young and TJ built as they thought it would be used by me in a wheelchair that allows me to wheel under the Desktop....I never even ASKED them for it....They just thought it might make my life easier:)
Desktop is a VERY tight machine, and if you want to get cutting rather than putzing around...I don't think you'd be disappointed.
Like Brady and Monty said...You're in the right place and welcome!
I might give Dianne a call, and see if someone close to you is on the Demo list or maybe someone here is close to you? It would save you a LOT of time and help put your mind at ease.
If there's a Shopbot Camp anywhere close to you before you buy...GO:)
scott
Don't forget you can use Tiling toolpath for stuff larger than cutting area, not as easy as a MAX, but very doable.
Oh, Selecting spindle option was a GOOD choice!

scottp55
09-07-2015, 11:32 AM
Joseph,
I realize it's a heck of a hike, but as it's a Saturday(next Saturday!) perhaps you can make a weekend out of it?
You'll get more info and contacts in one day from people that use the machines than you can absorb:)
Put you months ahead of the learning curve and a much better idea of what you'd be getting for your cash---Good investment for your peace of mind.(and it's free food)
scott
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?21681-th-Annual-Mid-Atlantic-Camp-ShopBot-Sept-12-2015

Steve Wonser
09-08-2015, 02:06 PM
I just wanted to let you know how great the ShopBot Tech Support and this forum are. I had an issue with my Desktop yesterday, Memorial day. I emailed ShopBot Tech Support and got a response within an hour. I also posted the problem to the forum and got an almost immediate response. That kind of support is huge when it comes to something as complex as CNC. You can't go wrong with ShopBot.

wespor
09-11-2015, 03:58 PM
This just came up on my radar, I have a Desktop but there are so many jobs I have to turn down, just barely. Was thinking about adding a 48x48 PRS unit alongside it for larger, less detailed work but this thing might bridge the gap. I might be selling my spindle Desktop instead and upgrading to the Max. I'll post here first, if I decide to do that.