PDA

View Full Version : 3-D and 2-D renderings don't co-exist in Aspire????

Chuck Keysor
09-14-2015, 12:52 AM
Hello Shopbot Friends:

I have new confusion, concerning the matter of 3D renderings NOT coexisting with 2D machining renderings in Aspire 8.

The first image show another crummy old photograph which is all I have to work from. This is the peak of an 1890's house here in Elgin, and most of the original decorations were removed to install siding 40 years ago. Now the home owners are out to restore what had been there originally.

The third image shows one of the frames of the diamonds, with its inner 1/4 bead molding. This was made using two two-rail sweeps, no problem.

My plan was to use the 3-D rendered image, created for visual purposes only, to aid in the customer's understanding, and then make a 2 1/2D toolpath rendering that would be placed in the middle of the 3-D rendered frame.

But, as soon as I create the simulated toolpath image of the "flowerette", the 3-D rendering vanishes! (The boarder that is shown, is just the uncut stock, it is NOT the 3D model.:() That is shown in the second attachment. Actually, the 3-D rendering vanishes until I turn off the 2D simulated flowerette, then the 3-D frame re-appears.

I don't understand why invoking the 2-D toolpath simulation would shut off the 3-D rendering. I know you can make a 3-D model, and then put V-Carved text on top of it (by projecting it down onto the 3D tool-path). So I would think my 3-D frame and my 2-D toolpath simulation would co-exist.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just the way it is, or am I not seeing this right?

Thanks for your insights, Chuck

PS: When I attached the images, the second two got swapped, and I couldn't figure out how to restore their correct order....:confused:

Brady Watson
09-14-2015, 06:16 AM
That's just the way it is in Aspire...You can look at the 3D model or you can look at the toolpath preview, but not both at the same time.

For visualization purposes you can create a component from the toolpath preview by simulating your toolpaths and then going to Model-> Create component from toolpath simulation. This will give you a new component from your sim that you can colorize etc and join together with your other geometry.

-B

waynelocke
09-14-2015, 09:39 AM
Why not just tool path the frame? This will allow it to show up with the other pieces and not require much time or effort.p

Chuck Keysor
09-14-2015, 08:23 PM
Thanks Brady and Wayne for your replies, which I greatly appreciate.

Brady, thanks for confirming that this is just the way the software operates. Also, while I had seen reference to the create model from tool-path simulation in a training video, I had TOTALLY forgotten about it!

Thank you again!!!!!!!!!! Chuck

Brady Watson
09-14-2015, 08:46 PM
You're welcome, Chuck. Glad you got it.

-B

Chuck Keysor
09-16-2015, 12:56 AM
Thanks again Brady, that is a really cool feature! (Convert toolpath into a component in the 3D model tree that is....) Chuck

Brady Watson
09-16-2015, 09:29 AM
Chuck,
There are times where you bang your head trying to create a certain shape model using the 3D creation tools, only to find that one or two toolpaths can get you the shape you need for your project. (cabashan shape comes to mind here)

It is also helpful when doing textured panels to verify 100% that the machined pattern will in fact join up with the adjacent ones...and other situations similar to that.

I don't use it often, but know it can save the day when I need it.

-B