PDA

View Full Version : Cookie cutters

steve_g
09-17-2015, 11:22 PM
We can’t make cookies fast enough… Cookies are what we call cross cut log slices. Folks use cookies for any number of decorative purposes, brides buy them 30 and more at a time! Small “coaster” size ones sell for $1 to $3 each, candle holders $5 to $10 each and cake platter sized ones $25 to $50 each. We also make them into lazy Susans, signs and even table sized ones.
The smaller ones aren’t lucrative enough to spend much time on, so I was trying to figureout a way to improve throughput… My first idea was to make a holder to simplify re-facing the rough chainsaw cut using the bandsaw. My holder used embedded bandsaw blade pieces to grip the cookie and prevent the part from “spinning”and causing all kinds of havoc. This holder/jig made very nice looking parts upto 10” or 11” but still not fast enough. Also, the chainsaw cut with trim cuts gave us about 50% sawdust!
The version2 jig eliminates the chainsaw cuts… this “carriage” holds the entire log! Four foot and even longer tree/limb sections are accurately and reliably held, making quick work of an order with comparatively little waste. The carriage/jig is guided by the bandsaw miter gage slot and rolls on a couple of lawnmower wheels.
My jigs were modeled in SketchUp, imported into V-Carve Pro and cut from Baltic birch on the Bot…
Cookies over 10 or 11 inches in diameter still have to be surfaced on the Bot and their price reflects this! If demand continues, we may have to look into a larger capacity bandsaw…
SG

rseeley13
09-18-2015, 12:12 AM
So then do you kiln dry them yourself?

myxpykalix
09-18-2015, 01:42 AM
Do you have any problem with them cracking? or warping?

rb99
09-18-2015, 02:10 AM
This saw design (lay down band saw) might be a good option:

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26093&stc=1

I saw one at a steel shop that is programmable. It automatically feeds the material and continually cuts and feeds unattended.

steve_g
09-18-2015, 02:26 AM
We made a solar kiln for drying our slabs of wood… I’ll tell more about this later, but the cookies never see it! We get our logs from multiple sources, one is harvesting standing dead trees another is a tree service. The limbs we select aren’t fresh green cut… they’ve been sitting in the Texas heat awhile. Even then, we have to select limbs with tight bark… it’s not unheard of for us to glue or staple loose bark! Cracks and splits add character and desirability, the log the cookies in the last photo were cut from, had a lot of spalting and sponginess in the center, the bride is very pleased with them!
SG

steve_g
09-18-2015, 02:37 AM
rb99…
Interesting! We recently bought a large Cyprus stump and are having a mill slab it for us. We’re looking at a ridiculously big cedar bole today… perhaps a chain or bandmill is in our future!
SG

rb99
09-18-2015, 02:56 AM
Why does a bride want to give away spongy centered wood slices?

steve_g
09-18-2015, 05:48 AM
Ha! I agree…actually they use them for “green” decoration. Here’s some ideas…

https://www.google.com/search?q=tree+slice+cake+stand&safe=off&biw=999&bih=941&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMIg8CwtqSAyAIVkwmSCh2pjwT- (https://www.google.com/search?q=tree+slice+cake+stand&safe=off&biw=999&bih=941&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMIg8CwtqSAyAIVkwmSCh2pjwT-)

The batch in my photo above will each have a mason jar with a candle and fall foliage around it. I don’t know if any lucky guests will get to take one home!

More ideas!

https://www.google.com/search?q=tree+slice+decorations&safe=off&biw=999&bih=941&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMI8bDkpaaAyAIVU3ySCh0oog9W#safe =off&tbm=isch&q=tree+slice+centerpieces (https://www.google.com/search?q=tree+slice+decorations&safe=off&biw=999&bih=941&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMI8bDkpaaAyAIVU3ySCh0oog9W#safe =off&tbm=isch&q=tree+slice+centerpieces)

SG

Brady Watson
09-18-2015, 06:11 AM
Jeez Steve....at those prices I am willing to burn oil and slice up the firewood cookies!

-B

scottp55
09-18-2015, 07:17 AM
Nice Steve!
Thanks for pic of that bandsaw blade jig/holder, may use idea:)
scott

dmidkiff
09-18-2015, 10:02 AM
Steve, just another bandsaw. May not work for your application but is interesting.

http://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/production-woodworking/woodworking-machinery-technology/Bandsaw-Swings-360-Degrees-179137871.html

myxpykalix
09-18-2015, 08:02 PM
It would seem to me that rather then having the whole jig have to roll back and forth that you could make it so that you have a sled that held the log and moved it past the blade line in a miter slot kind of like a meat slicer

rb99
09-18-2015, 08:55 PM
Nice Steve!
Thanks for pic of that bandsaw blade jig/holder, may use idea:)
scott

The guys that use that saw need a Shopbot.

bleeth
09-19-2015, 07:03 AM
Crosscutting logs? You need a biiiig chopsaw. Seriously, much quicker than a bandsaw for smaller diameters like the coasters.
You can buy a huge circle saw blade like the sawmills use and set up a dedicated crosscutter with a log sled. Just make sure the motor is strong enough.
Depending on how far you wanted to go you could push/pull the sled with steppers or hydraulics.

First woodshop I worked in made cable spools and the area where logs were processed into the planks was the old fashioned one big motor, shaft, and leather belts to drive everything.
They had several 24" blades in a row that came down and crosscut all at once. Scary looking till you got used to it. Logs were mostly slash pine so the diameters weren't huge. Not exactly fine woodworking stuff.

Ajcoholic
09-19-2015, 01:24 PM
http://www.woodweb.com/exchanges/machinery/posts/485557.html

Bob Eustace
09-19-2015, 06:06 PM
On refacing we just use a piece of ply with appropiate holes, drop in stuff to be sanded and run it thru the drum sander. Only used square stuff but it should work with cookies. If it lifts I would add a bit of vacuum to each cavity.

scottp55
07-17-2016, 08:22 AM
Steve,
How were you finishing those?
Tried my normal 50/50 citrus solvent/polymerized Linseed and the thinner took Black Walnut heartwood/bark color and got into the sapwood for a noticeable lack of contrast:(
Thinking 100% polymerized Tung, but worried cracks and crevices in bark will be sticky.
Not to worried about the coaster sized ones I'm playing with, but hoping to hand saw some of the larger ones from my Aunt's tree for 3D display stands, and they'll have to be NICE. NEED to buy a resaw!
Thanks
scott

Simops
07-17-2016, 06:41 PM
Kills me the things people will pay for! Usually fads that start in the USA end up here 6 months later......haven't seen that here yet but I better get cracking slicing up my firewood in anticipation��������

steve_g
07-19-2016, 11:04 PM
Scott:
sorry about taking so long to answer... we're roaming around the country in our camper, staying away from the Dallas heat!
I never put any finish on any of my cookies, not at the price we were getting!
let me know what you land up doing in case I ever need to!
SG

scottp55
07-20-2016, 11:23 AM
No problem Steve:)
If you land anywhere near southern Maine, there's a water/electric hookup(or a California King and Master Bath) waiting for you on a Beaver pond:)
Funny, I coated the ends of that B.Walnut that had been cut down 4 days before with Linseed/beeswax and had no checking as expected, but also had zero checking on the 5 3/8" slices I did absolutely nothing to. BUT the 12" remnant of the branch I cut them off of checked like crazy in just 3 days with nothing on it?
Getting a few more branches today, and some firewood sized chunks tomorrow for displays.
Keep you posted.
scott
A Reverse "Snowbird" :)