PDA

View Full Version : Over Heating Spindle

jwa1156
10-02-2015, 02:21 PM
Fellow Shop Botters/Desktoo Users
Tech support has determined that the cause of the Spindle on my Desktop to overheat is most likely a barring issue. I received my Desktop in Dec 2013. Unfortunately I had issues with the desktop from day one, tech support not being able to locate the problem.
Ted to his Great Credit had a new Desktop Shipped to replace the malfunctioning one.
The Over Heating Spindle is on the newer Desktop. Which I have had this desktop for 13-14 months.
I ran test on the spindle and after the C5 routine it had reached a temp of 103.5 F, in 30 Min Run with no load on the spindle it had a temp of 163.0 and in 40 min it was 173.2 F.
Tech support ran similar timed test on the desktop in the shop 10, 20 and 30 minutes each and their Desktop only reached a high of 97 F.
To my surprise, tech support advised that the Spindle is not covered under the ShopBot Warranty and I will have to contact HSD for any help, repair or replacement. The cost of a new spindle is $1.599.00 from ShopBot.
Not mad, I am very disappointed regarding the warranty, in that it does not cover what I imagine is the single most expensive part of the machine. I was not advised of this little detail when purchased, when asked what the warranty is, I was told 2 yrs period, not two years except the spindle.
To me it is like purchasing a NEW car and being told it has 3 yr warranty and the engine breaks and you take it to the dealer and you are told the engine is not covered by the warranty.
All this being said, I still need to get the desktop repaired so some questions
1-What is the temp of any of your desktop spindles?
2-Can the barring’s be replaced? If so how difficult is the re-build.
3-If I have to replace the spindle, can I replace it with a more powerful one say 1 hp
The saga goes own.

Brady Watson
10-02-2015, 02:41 PM
No manufacturer warranty's spindles. They have no way to know if someone turns it on and starts drilling rocks with it.

It is a throw away spindle. It cannot (read won't) be rebuilt by SB or HSD and no replacement parts are available for it, or any other HSD until you get into the ATC ones. It would take a trained spindle rebuilder (professional) at least 1/2 day to rebuild one of these properly. Plus a matched set of ABEC7 bearings ($500+) - so it just isn't worth rebuilding. It requires more skill and specialized equipment than rebuilding a GM alternator or even a PC router...so it isn't a DIY project.

My advice would be to run that thing until it dies, just like any other spindle. Toss it and get another one. Worrying about it overheating etc is probably the biggest 'expense' here...just make money with it. If you go down because it dies, pop a 110v router on it and work until you can afford a new one, or look into an Asian one.

I don't mean to come off callous; I certainly do have compassion for this situation, but those are the facts.

-B

jwa1156
10-03-2015, 01:09 PM
Not Callous at all
Just did not know the details, my bad, not ShopBot at all and things break that is life
Just frustrated, but again that is life
HSD agrees with you, I called them yesterday and they said it may last a year longer, use it until it can't make good cuts then re-place it
I do appreciate the great information that is shared here
as they say you don't know what you don't know and some learning can be expensive
my knowledge base