PDA

View Full Version : Beware / Newbie Question: Toolpath on selected item only.

Magick
10-16-2015, 04:23 AM
Hello all! I have a desktop for 3 days now. I have a problem in Vcarve and I'm just stumped. I can't figure out how to do a toolpath on a selected item only. For example, say I have a box and then some text inside the box. I do a pocket for the whole project which leaves space for the text to be detailed out. Then I want to do a vcarve path on only the text to clean it up but the toolpath goes over the whole box area that is already cut out, then it works on the text. If I select the text only, the vcarve clears the text completely so I'm left with no text. So, if you could help, how can I work on only the text without it being erased or having the patch go all the way over the box again? Or maybe it's invert selection? Thanks in advance.

Brady Watson
10-16-2015, 05:42 AM
You didn't do your homework.

Watch the Vectric training videos (https://youtu.be/YMQIBz6_Yxk) & all your dreams will come true.

-B

barrowj
10-16-2015, 06:55 AM
It would be much easier to assist If you will post your file.

Joe

Bob T
10-16-2015, 06:55 AM
This is what I think you are experiencing: you have made a rectangle. you have text placed inside it. you have created a pocket toolpath with both items selected so that the text pops from the recessed area. you are cutting this with, depending on the size you are talking about, a 1/4" bit. Everything looks as expected until you try an additional path to carve out the details in the letter, with say a 1/8th bit. but it goes snowplow on you and removes everything. I am guessing that when you are creating your pocket, you should select to cut it with the smaller bit, then check the option to clear with the larger bit. That will create you two toolpaths, one with "clear" in parenthesis next to it.

If you are recessing the rectangle, and then want to Vcarve the text below that surface, than perhaps you have not lowered your start depth to the appropriate level.

scottp55
10-16-2015, 09:28 AM
Jerry,
If you haven't already signed up on the Vectric Forum, I would, as they are extremely helpful and a little easier to post files up to 2MB.
It's not like it's the first time you'll be stumped and in a rush and need to know which tutorial to watch or just find an annoying node that's screwing you up.
Work alongside the tutorials as it sticks better and you can learn the programming shortcuts that make life So much easier.
Probably a better place to get Vectric answers as well as you've got a gamut of different machines and more users.
We've all been there:)
Congrats on the Desktop!
scott

curtiss
10-17-2015, 01:49 PM
The best way to see what is going to happen in Vectric:

1) turn off all the linework layers and then

2) turn on the toolpaths you have created one by one to see what will happen

If you are starting text after a pocket is cut say .2 inches deep...
you have to make that "start depth assignment" to the toolpath

cowboy1296
10-18-2015, 09:22 AM
a couple of folks here given you great advice but i remember my frustration back when i got started. so i am going to add a couple of pictures. in these pictureshttp://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26384&stc=1http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26385&stc=1 my pocket was .4 tenths of an inch deep. so when you calculate you v carve you have to have a start depth of .4 of an inch.

I can only assume that you are zeroing your bits from the top of the work piece. make sure you continue to zero from the top even when using a start depth below the top of the work piece.