PDA

View Full Version : Retail Store

boongoon
11-10-2008, 03:04 PM
I am thinking of buying a ShopBot Buddy to make the signs for my retail store. I will need about 15 signs so I figure the cost would be mostly absorbed. Has anyone done this before as opposed to having their signs made elsewhere? I figure I could also sell outdoor themed signs for my retail customers.

My store website is www.efingersports.com (http://www.efingersports.com)

cabnet636
11-10-2008, 06:04 PM
with a store that size and a outdoor sports to boot! that bot will pay for itself in no time!

jim

dana_swift
11-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Evan, just a small reality check.. how quickly do you need the signs? If you have 90 days after the arrival of the Buddy, you might stand a chance. But CNC is not a trivial thing to wade into. Look around on this board at all the confused folks who just bought one. If your store is well established and you have time to learn CNC it might be a great idea for you.

The people in the sign business know many things that you may already be aware of. Readability, lighting, sign materials, ADA issues, weather resistance, etc. If you know those skills, go for it!

While I am huge fan of the Buddy, it is not a trivial tool. The software has quite a learning curve also, both the Shopbot control software and the CAD software that you use to design your projects (signs). Have you looked into the price of software specifically designed to do signs? A program named Partworks comes with the bot, is it up to your needs?

The shopbot website has a good section "Before you buy a CNC machine." Be sure you have read it.

http://shopbottools.com/beforeyoubuy.htm

If you do decide to buy a bot, you will discover it will do so much more than make signs. What will amaze you is all the other things you find you can do with it that are unique to your own needs.

Good luck with your decision!

D

dana_swift
11-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Evan- one more note. I just went to the link on your website. Because of the vast abuse of trust on the web, I use a product called "noscript" with Firefox.

Without scripting enabled (with the security risks that entails), your site has some serious issues. No images load among other problems..

I didn't know if you were aware of that, or concerned. Any vendor wanting me to turn off browser security before doing business with them is already off to a bad start. Why should they want me to do that? It isn't necessary to make the web work correctly..

D

boongoon
11-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Hi Dana,

Thank you for all of your insight. First off, I have unlimited time for the signs. This store has been open for 4 years and I have not done them yet
We have been in business for 100 years. I am looking for ways to make the bot worthwhile beyond the signage. I was thinking in terms of outdoor theme signs for lodges, homes, campsites and such.

Thank you for the note about the website. I will talk to my web developer and find out what the story is. I really do not know or have a great deal of expertise with the website.

Thank you very much, Dana. I have been impressed with the vast knowledge on this forum. It is great that people like yourself will take the time to inform others the way you have.

dana_swift
11-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Evan, everyone on the forum will look forward to your future contributions to the shared knowledge!

Keep us informed!

D

gerald_martin
11-12-2008, 08:55 AM
Hello Evan: Your dream is probably realistic and you'll have more fun than you ever imagined.

It's incredibly easier to learn to run a ShopBot now than when I first started in 2001 - the design software has come so far in 7 years it is unbelievable. It's very likely that ShopBot PartWorks that comes with the CNC will do anything you can imagine for your sign engraving needs.

The best way to be sure is to download the trial version of VcarvePro from www.vectric.com (http://www.vectric.com)

SB Partworks is identical (except it will only write numeric code for a Shopbot, not all the other machines), and you can go ahead and try drawing a sign and simulating the result to see if you like it.

Go for it, if you enjoy mastering a new challenge you will never look back.

Gerald

sleepy
11-13-2008, 08:36 AM
Evan
I bought a benchtop in 1998 to do residential signs at one of our retail stores for our customers. It paid for itself in 3 months. E mail me I will be glad to help anyway I can.
David

bob_dodd
11-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Evan
I've been in your store , very nice. I'll be near your location one day this coming week , if you like I could stop by. I could help you hit the ground running. Bob

boongoon
11-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Hi Bob,

That would be great. Let me know when you will be around. You could call me @ 732-356-0604.

Evan