PDA

View Full Version : ply rocking horse

Ajcoholic
12-27-2015, 11:28 AM
Back in 2012 when I purchased my Shopbot, I started drawing a rocking horse in Aspire, which I planned to build for my then 1 yr old son, Joseph.

Well, as time carried on (Joe's now almost 5) I never did get to it.

A few weeks ago, I found the file I started, and thought it was time to actually finish it up and make one for my other boy, Max, who's approaching 1 1/2.

The whole rocking horse is cut from a 1/2 (48" by 48") sheet of 12mm (1/2") Baltic birch plywood. The rockers are two layers, the head is three, and the body is kerfed from underneath, with a 1/8" bit, to bend neatly around the radius. There is one other rectangular piece of ply set into a groove where the radius stops. The body is very strong.

The only other part is a few lengths of maple dowel I turned on my big copy lathe.

I have to make a few small tweaks to the file (want to move the placement of the holes in the body a wee bit to have the horse sit a bit more towards the rear at rest). But if anyone wants the file let me know, I'd be happy to share. I cut it out with a 1/4" bit and did the kerfs with a 1/8" bit. WHen you bend the ply the kerfs close up, and I got the spacing bang on.

Here is my older son, Joe, testing the thing out before Christmas... :)

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j307/ajcoholic/ajcoholic007/516_zps3tf0j0ai.jpg (http://s83.photobucket.com/user/ajcoholic/media/ajcoholic007/516_zps3tf0j0ai.jpg.html)

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j307/ajcoholic/ajcoholic007/517_zpsjkjrrt2t.jpg (http://s83.photobucket.com/user/ajcoholic/media/ajcoholic007/517_zpsjkjrrt2t.jpg.html)

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j307/ajcoholic/ajcoholic007/518_zpso72qcm9z.jpg (http://s83.photobucket.com/user/ajcoholic/media/ajcoholic007/518_zpso72qcm9z.jpg.html)

tri4sale
12-27-2015, 11:49 AM
Andrew

Thats is fantastic! Looks great and lots of fun for the little ones. I've been thinking of doing something similar, would love the file to play with.

Ajcoholic
12-27-2015, 11:53 AM
Dan,
Just send me a PM with your email. I will tidy up the file today if I can (just tweaking a few minor things) and send it out. I am also adding the tail, which I cut by hand on the band saw, but there is lots of room to put it onto the material as well.

The main change I did is make the rocker slightly non- symmetrical - so make sure when you glue them up, they both face the same direction. And put the longer arm of the rocker to the front, to get the body back about an inch past the center of the arc. The horse rocks well.

scottp55
12-27-2015, 01:04 PM
Andrew,
Sorry to say that as good as the horse is it takes second stage to the smiles.
I'd say it was a successful cut:)
scott

Ajcoholic
12-27-2015, 02:02 PM
Scott,
My little guy is a bit small yet to get up on it by himself - but it wont be long. Maybe another month or two by the way hes growing!

I have the file cleaned up. Should have all parts necessary - except the dowel. I left about 3/32" material for the kerfed section, and ran the face ply across the width of the body. A little damping of the ply makes it easier to bend, and I eased mine little at a time until it curved around and the kerfs closed up.

Again, just PM me your email, and I can send the Aspire file. I saved it in version 4, so you dont need the latest to open it.

myxpykalix
12-27-2015, 03:31 PM
I can't believe that is "Little Joe" already! Have you been feeding him a steady supply of sawdust in his oatmeal so he carries on the family business? What is fun about the pictures is that the kid is happy with a toy that is NOT electronic.

Ajcoholic
12-27-2015, 05:50 PM
I can't believe that is "Little Joe" already! Have you been feeding him a steady supply of sawdust in his oatmeal so he carries on the family business? What is fun about the pictures is that the kid is happy with a toy that is NOT electronic.

Jack
The only electronic thing we have is my old iPad. He gets to watch a few kids videos on YouTube once and a while. And a few kids apps.

Mainly he does regular kid stuff like I did. Lego, hot wheels, other traditional boy toys like nerf guns etc. No sling shots yet lol. Maybe next summer. I did get him a cool slot car set for Christmas. Kind of for me too lol.

bleeth
12-27-2015, 06:37 PM
I have always suspected that the Shopbot was developed due to a childhood fascination with Erector Sets.
Bill (who obviously loved Tinker Toys when he was a kid) may admit that at some point but not sure Ted would!
If you look at the first one with the cables and sliding door wheels there is a definite resemblance!
I'd like to play with that but would need exported lines as my highest Vectric software is VCP.

Ajcoholic
12-27-2015, 06:48 PM
I have always suspected that the Shopbot was developed due to a childhood fascination with Erector Sets.
Bill (who obviously loved Tinker Toys when he was a kid) may admit that at some point but not sure Ted would!
If you look at the first one with the cables and sliding door wheels there is a definite resemblance!
I'd like to play with that but would need exported lines as my highest Vectric software is VCP.

Dave,
Although I appreciate being able to make things that make me $$, it is as much of a reward to make things just for fun, as you suspected! I only wish I had more free time in my working day/week to do more things like this.

I can send you the .dxf file if you want, that should be able to be imported into VCP, no?

bleeth
12-28-2015, 06:32 AM
That would work fine.
Thanks.

Ajcoholic
12-28-2015, 08:53 AM
Dave,
Can you shoot me your email?

Ajcoholic
12-28-2015, 11:05 AM
Wow, I have had a whole lot of you ask for the file (which is great!) - if I forgot to send it to anyone, just let me know. As of this morning I think I have responded to all requests.

If you do end up building one please post a picture, or at least let me know it went OK.

JFYI I sized the holes for a 1" dowel, which is IMO strong enough if you are using a hard wood like hard maple. If you use something like rubberwood, I would go to 1 1/4" diameter myself.

tri4sale
12-28-2015, 12:45 PM
This popped up on my Facebook feed today. May have to give this design a try one day.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26915&stc=1

myxpykalix
12-28-2015, 03:55 PM
Taun-Taun's?

tri4sale
12-28-2015, 04:00 PM
Taun-Taun's?

Yup-Yup. Yup.

(3 Yups require to reach the 10 letter minimum required to post)

Ajcoholic
12-28-2015, 06:31 PM
Is that a star wars thing??

genek
12-28-2015, 06:34 PM
Dave,
Although I appreciate being able to make things that make me $$, it is as much of a reward to make things just for fun, as you suspected! I only wish I had more free time in my working day/week to do more things like this.

I can send you the .dxf file if you want, that should be able to be imported into VCP, no?

Would love to have a copy of that file. That is fantastic... my e-mail is eking1953@yahoo.com

Tim Lucas
12-28-2015, 07:05 PM
Dave,

Hi Andrew,

I also would like a copy for VCP if you can
tim@tlcw.us

Thanks
Tim

Ajcoholic
12-28-2015, 07:43 PM
Hi Andrew,

I also would like a copy for VCP if you can
tim@tlcw.us

Thanks
Tim

I drove to see my parents today, and left the computer home. Just have my cellphone.

I'll send the file when I return home tomorrow night or Wednesday.

JimDav
12-28-2015, 07:45 PM
Dave,

Thought I sent a PM but haven't seen anything come in yet. I too have VCarePro so guess I would need the .dxf file. jim@EagleWoodProducts.com Thanks

tri4sale
12-28-2015, 08:13 PM
Is that a star wars thing??

Yes, from the 2nd (or 5th movie depending on how you view them) movie.

Picture of one at the Star Wars wikipedia page: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tauntaun

Ajcoholic
12-29-2015, 09:39 PM
Oh yes, The Emipre STrikes back. I was like 12 or so I think when I saw that... :) I like Star Wars but I am not a crazed fan. My son is starting to get into it a bit, from the lego mostly. He likes Darth Vadar.

OK I think I got every one. I was out of town for the last day and a half.. just got home tonight.

genek
12-29-2015, 10:31 PM
Oh yes, The Emipre STrikes back. I was like 12 or so I think when I saw that... :) I like Star Wars but I am not a crazed fan. My son is starting to get into it a bit, from the lego mostly. He likes Darth Vadar.

OK I think I got every one. I was out of town for the last day and a half.. just got home tonight.

so cool... andrew by the way did you know Darth Vadar got married.. Yep he married ella Vadar.
had to do that. could not resist. lol

barrowj
12-30-2015, 06:49 AM
Andrew,

I had PM you but didn't get the file, I'm sure you would have sent it if the PM went through correctly. Please send the file to joe@joebarrow.com.

Thanks

tri4sale
12-30-2015, 11:10 AM

Agreed, I like it but not crazed about it. With the design of those Taun-Taun rocker's I do wonder if they are not a front tip over hazard.

so cool... andrew by the way did you know Darth Vadar got married.. Yep he married ella Vadar.
had to do that. could not resist. lol

Must. Resist. All. Efforts. To. Chuckle.... haha, funny Gene.

Ajcoholic
12-30-2015, 11:23 AM
Andrew,

I had PM you but didn't get the file, I'm sure you would have sent it if the PM went through correctly. Please send the file to joe@joebarrow.com.

Thanks

Resent just now. I had your email in my folder so I think I did send it - check the spam folder maybe?

barrowj
12-30-2015, 11:39 AM
Resent just now. I had your email in my folder so I think I did send it - check the spam folder maybe?

Hmmm, not in spam or junk folder and not in my inbox, strange. Please try bravesoul1950@gmail.com , maybe my provider is blocking you?? I will have to check to the control panel on my site.

Thanks, Joe

barrowj
12-30-2015, 11:44 AM
Got it, don't know why it didn't show up at first but it just did and was in my junk folder. Thanks again.

Ajcoholic
12-30-2015, 12:58 PM
Got it, don't know why it didn't show up at first but it just did and was in my junk folder. Thanks again.

I just re-sent it to the other email as well... before I saw this message.

Ajcoholic
12-30-2015, 01:00 PM
Also, please - anyone who builds one - post a photo and/or how it went here.

As I said, I made a few small changes after I cut mine out. Unless I did something stupid, it should work fine.

For assembly, just bend the main body into the U shape, and glue in the rectangular piece. Then glue on the end caps to finish the body. The foot supports, back rest, and head (after you glue the three pcs together) are screwed on. I drilled an access hole in the body rectangular piece to allow the screwdriver to get up into the body to hold down the head. The tail can be screwed on before the end black piece is attached.

The rest is just sliding onto the dowels and making sure things are even before gluing up. I used wood glue, with a little CA to hold things put until it was dry.

Tim Lucas
12-30-2015, 10:17 PM
Hi Andrew

Have not seen the file yet want to make one for a couple and their boys

Thanks
Tim

Ajcoholic
12-30-2015, 10:25 PM
Hi Andrew

Have not seen the file yet want to make one for a couple and their boys

Thanks
Tim

Just resent it Tim.. the DXF file, correct?

Tim Lucas
12-30-2015, 11:39 PM
Just resent it Tim.. the DXF file, correct?

Got it thank u!

Tim Lucas
01-09-2016, 04:43 PM
First of my herd, not finished yet but close - everything cut good except the dowel holes are a smidge small but that's better than to big :)

Thanks again!!

myxpykalix
01-09-2016, 07:38 PM
This is better then the horse i had as a kid. It was nothing more then a broomstick with a stuffed sock on the end with a couple buttons sewed on as eyes and cloth string as a mane...but man she could run like the wind. I named her "Silver"....Hi Yo..you know the rest!

tri4sale
01-09-2016, 07:40 PM
First of my herd, not finished yet but close - everything cut good except the dowel holes are a smidge small but that's better than to big :)

Thanks again!!

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=27015&stc=1

Looks good Tim, I hope to have my shop put back together soon, and I'll start cutting my herd out.

Ajcoholic
01-09-2016, 08:58 PM
Looks great! Its good to see another one made. I sent a whole lot of people the files.. between here and Vectric's forum. I hope more get them made up. Your bent ply looks smoother even than mine was.

tri4sale
01-10-2016, 10:17 AM
Looks great! Its good to see another one made. I sent a whole lot of people the files.. between here and Vectric's forum. I hope more get them made up. Your bent ply looks smoother even than mine was.

Question on the bent ply. When bending it, you mentioned wetting the wood first. Do you wet both sides, and how much water do you use?

Ajcoholic
01-10-2016, 10:20 AM
Question on the bent ply. When bending it, you mentioned wetting the wood first. Do you wet both sides, and how much water do you use?

Once the kerfs are cut and youre ready to bend it, just take a damp cloth and lightly dampen the surface that doesnt have the kerfs. It will just allow the veneer on the face to be a bit more flexible and help prevent fracturing and possible splintering/cracking.

I find the Baltic birch I buy very tough, and generally kerf bends without issue, as long as you go thin enough. But try a test piece first, its the safe way - and different plys bend differently. Depending upon the core, the face veneers, grain direction, etc.

dan m
02-09-2016, 12:03 PM
Hi Joe,
Could I get a copy of the DFX file for the ply rocking horse.
Thanks
dmyher@hotmail.com

lgutman
02-09-2016, 01:37 PM
This looks pretty cool. I would like a copy too if you don't mind.

lmgutman@gamil.com

Thanks

Larry

Ajcoholic
02-09-2016, 09:22 PM
This looks pretty cool. I would like a copy too if you don't mind.

lmgutman@gamil.com

Thanks

Larry

Im assuming you meant Gmail?

Tim Lucas
02-10-2016, 06:59 AM
My great niece loves her horse!
Thank you again
Tim

Ajcoholic
02-21-2016, 08:34 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4A2IkwNL7c&feature=em-upload_owner

Here is my son, Max (who is one month shy of a year and a half) getting the hang of his horse..

genek
02-21-2016, 08:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4A2IkwNL7c&feature=em-upload_owner

Here is my son, Max (who is one month shy of a year and a half) getting the hang of his horse..

Andrew You are so good with your children.

Ajcoholic
02-21-2016, 11:14 AM
Andrew You are so good with your children.

Thanks, I try!

Did you get the link to my buddy table build?

genek
02-21-2016, 11:58 AM
Yes I did thanks ...

Chris Davis
11-09-2016, 08:30 PM
Can you share the file with me? My wooodworking class is making toys for children's hospital and this would be awesome!!!