PDA

View Full Version : Processional Maces on Indexer

waynelocke
01-18-2016, 11:48 AM
I completed two of these Processional Maces for UT Rio Grande Valley in mid December. They use native materials —mostly. The wood is Mesquite, the helix is petrified palm and the tip is chert. The river inlay is Brass and Inlace and the other inlays are white cyanoacrylate glue. The gold on the top and the wafers are gold leafed. The turtle inlays represent the Kemp Ridley turtle which nest on the South Texas coast and the propellers represent the ubiquitous wind turbines. The stone was done by a stone carver but all of the other parts were done on the indexer.

myxpykalix
01-18-2016, 01:59 PM
That looks fantastic. Please explain the black and gold design. Is that an inlay? How did you do that?

scottp55
01-18-2016, 04:49 PM
OUCH!
Just when you're feeling clever....
Someone comes along with something that blow's your socks off :) :)
LOVELY work Wayne!
scott

waynelocke
01-18-2016, 06:53 PM
The blue "river" is a blue InLace with some metal flakes, blue chunks and thickened. I cut the river bed with a 1/8" straight bit and filled it with the InLace and then cut the river banks with the same 1/8" bit. The brass inlay is powdered brass which is packed in the grooves and then saturated with a very low viscosity cyanoacrylate glue. I got the technique from a video by Ted Sokolowski. You can Google him. The video is very good describing the technique and the materials. He also sell the glue and the metal powders though I purchased them elsewhere. Grizzly also sells his video and some powders. After letting the metal set up, I rechecked it and cut it down then sanded and finished it. The brass looks solid although I have not looked at it with a magnifying glass.
-

Brady Watson
01-18-2016, 09:21 PM
Looks great Wayne. I like the turtles...

-B

elcar903
01-21-2016, 01:13 AM
great job looks great

dmidkiff
01-21-2016, 10:09 AM
It's always nice to see your work. It's always top notch and you display it very well too. Thanks for posting.