PDA

View Full Version : ShopBot in the Artroom

Ross Kowalski
03-21-2002, 08:59 PM
I am glad to see the shopbot education thread and am very eager to see what people will contribute.

Last summer I aquired a ShopBot prt 96 for the sculpture classes. It has been a great addition to the course.

I am curious if anyone knows of shopbots being used in ther ohigh school art programs?

jmw60010@yahoo.com
03-22-2002, 02:25 PM
Ross,

We use our Shopbot in high school Drafting and Tech ed classes. We recently purchased a software package called Desk Proto. You may be interested in looking into this for your sculpture classes. Desk Proto takes a solid model created in any of a number of CAD programs and generates the toolpaths and NC code nedded to create a 3D prototype. We have just started to experiment with it, but so far it is impressive! You can download a demo version at www.deskproto.com

Ross Kowalski
03-25-2002, 08:50 AM
Deskproto looks like a good thing, if a little on the pricy side. As an art department we have a very small budget, but I might be able to write a grant for the software if this years crop of artwork is successful.

imserv@imsrv.com
03-25-2002, 11:56 AM
You may also like StlWork. http://www.stlwork.com

The regular version outputs SBP code directly.

Jay Wiese
03-26-2002, 09:21 AM
Ross,

FYI, the educational price for DeskProto is $600.

You should check out StlWork too. I know how difficult it can be to get your hands on the funding! I tried the demo of both programs before making a purchase and found the DeskProto a little easier to use. This is always a plus when dealing with students.

jwilson@boardofchildcare.org
05-13-2005, 02:16 PM
Hello!
I am a vocational woodshop teacher in a nonpublic facility. Does anyone out there have a Shopbot in their facilities that are willing to share their experiences? Pictures? Website? Thanks for your help!

Paul Gobat
Vocational Woodshop Instructor
Board of Child Care
Strawbridge School
Baltimore Maryland
jwilson@boardofchildcare.org (mailto:jwilson@boardofchildcare.org)