PDA

View Full Version : Ordering a Desktop

Brad CAD
04-15-2016, 09:59 PM
I'm ready to put in my order, but have a few questions:
1. Will the Desktop spindle accept a ½" collet... does it come with a ¼"?
2. Do I need to order a Z-Zero plate or does it come with one?
3. Is the Mini Enclosure worth getting, or is it more trouble than help?
( I need to keep the dust down in may shop. )
4. Will I need a truck with a lift gate for delivery?
Thanks for your advice,
Brad

scottp55
04-16-2016, 08:48 AM
Hi Brad,
1. It will accept any ER-20 collet so yes on the .5". I ordered .125 and .5" along with it and the starter set, and it's been a couple years. I'd ask Dianne at Shopbot, but I think the .25" came with the spindle package.
2. Comes with the plate and clip.
3. On our second one we bought the mini enclosure for safety sake, but we may not use it now, and mine doesn't have it and shop stays pretty clean with a Fein TII for DC.
4. If picking up at the terminal, then a forklift there will stick it in a pick up truck for you usually(see pic), and then we just slid out onto a rolling Delta stand. Undid the Bottom clips(see link) with screwdrivers and vise grips, slid the whole top off(5 minutes) and then my friend and his girlfriend carried it the last 20'(about 120 pounds for Desktop alone).
http://www.derekgaw.com/post/28543998281/unboxing-a-shopbot-desktop
Might recommend that you ask the factory to add limit switches on the X,24 and Y,18 end of it to prevent hard stops(think it was about $60) 2yrs ago. Saves a bunch of time/material over a couple years.
Second Desktop came in a MakerCrate, so drill driver with Allen key made it even faster/cleaner. HIGHLY recommend the MakerCrate! VERY solid and versatile!
Congrats:)
scott

Brad CAD
04-16-2016, 05:11 PM
Scott-
Thanks for the advice! I'll place my order tomorrow.
Years back I was able to get a grant for a ShopBot when I was teaching... now I'm ready to have my own and the time to use it.

Brad
(Soon to have) Desktop/spindle...
Oregon

chiloquinruss
04-16-2016, 06:13 PM
Where in Oregon? I'm in Chiloquin / Klamath Falls. Russ

scottp55
04-16-2016, 06:57 PM
You're welcome Brad.
What kind of stuff do you want to do?
If you get a chance, visit Russell!
He does Great small models, as well as having a shop I'd love to visit:)
Glad you have Desktop experience already, and don't have to deal with the curve like I did:)
scott

Brad CAD
04-16-2016, 11:14 PM
Russ-

I'm in Sisters up by Bend.
I'm a retired shop teacher always interested in tech stuff.

Brad

tlempicke
04-17-2016, 08:02 AM
I have a mini enclosure that I no longer use. It does help keep the area neat. Sell cheap, send me a PM

chiloquinruss
04-18-2016, 12:05 AM
Sent ya' a pm. Russ