PDA

View Full Version : "ReadyMade" remote keypad for "FREE"!

Ross Kowalski
04-02-2002, 09:06 PM
I was about to build a remote keypad based on the .PDF file from the shopbottools website when I had a flash of insite.

As I deciphered the wiring in the .PDF file (a line diagram would have helped) I remembered seeing a nearly identical switch unit...

After a few minutes looking through some old audio visual equipment sitting around the department I found what I was looking for.

The forward/reverse focus up/down remote control from a kodak slide projector is a nearly ready made remote keypad for a shopbot!

I had to make a couple of minor modifications which I will describe here (I will try and take some photos tomorrow). The total modifications consisted of the one diode removed, one contact removed, and two wires resoldered. About five minutes work.

1. clip the diode from between the contacts on the focus switch and discard it.

2. remove the metal plate bridging between the focus switch contacts and discard it too.

3. solder the black and brown wires to the focus switch contacts.

I wired this modified remote into my PRT 96 before heading out this afternoon and it worked like a charm.

Good Luck.

Ted Hall, ShopBot Tools
04-03-2002, 05:16 PM
Hi Ross,

Sounds like a great idea ... we weren't trying to be obscure with the wiring diagram ... just didn't think to put it in.

When in KeyPad Mode, Inputs #1 & #2 move an axis up and down, while #3 shifts between axes (note that current axis is displayed on the KeyPad screen). Just connect an input to ground to activate it. 'Course you already figured that all out.

Now we just need a source for surplus Kodak remotes !

[For a little remote trivia ... We had a little problem with key 'bounce' when we were first setting up the software for a remote. So we were probably overly conservative in making the input sensing bounce proof. Thus when you are using the shift axis button, you want to be real definate for each push ... push it down, then let it up. Don't make a second push or hit a movement button too fast. That way it will reliably toggle between axes and you can count them. If you lose track of the axis you're on, just hold the shift button down for a full second or two, let go, and it will take you back to controlling the X axis.

Ross Kowalski
04-03-2002, 07:41 PM
Here is a pic of the kind of remote that works, I will take apart another and document the modification with photos when I have some time.

Here is a pic of the outside of the modified unit.

http://www.edu-coop.org/images/kodak.jpg

Ross.

r_kowalski@duxbury.k12.ma.us
09-05-2002, 12:00 PM
A little update on the kodak remote. It functions fine normally, but does have one vulnerability. I left it sitting out while running the a 1/4 inch 2 flute cutter w/o the vaccum hood (I needed the clearance)

After being covered throughly dusted, it didn't work. I blew it out by blowing into the switch holes and back to whe world of the living.

I don't see any prectical way to keep dust out, so if you are looking into making one of these, keep this in mind.