PDA

View Full Version : ShopBot in Junior High?

eastondrums
01-11-2007, 12:07 AM
I am a Jr. High woodshop teacher. I am seriously considering a PRTalpha Benchtop for our shop. My question is simple. Is the parts wizard and other software too complex for Jr. High students? Is anyone using a shopbot at the junior high level? $10k is a lot to lay out for a tool that can't be utilized by kids. Thanks.

conceptmachine
01-11-2007, 06:25 AM
Scott,
You can download part wizard demo from shopbot's website and let the kids try it out to see how they do.
shawn

mnrite
01-11-2007, 09:07 AM
I do all my design and layout work in AutoCad, then the toolpath work is simple in partswizard.
If your school is like my son's where they start with an AutoCad course and maybe touch on inventor, and then go on to a manufacturing type course it would be no problem.

Mike

eastondrums
01-11-2007, 09:49 AM
Mike, is your son in Jr. High or H.S.?

zeykr
01-11-2007, 10:06 AM
Scott,
I think a Jr High student can use partwizard with no problems. I've talked to several shopbotters whose kids use their machines on occassion - maybe a couple will see this thread and chime in. Contact Bill Palumbo, he is having a camp shopbot for teachers in Missouri in early Feb.

Also go take a look at v-carve pro from vectric - I think kids could easily do some neat work with it.

eastondrums
01-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Thanks

mnrite
01-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Scott,

My son learned AutoCad and inventor when he was in Jr. High. He is now in High School and is programing a CNC mill for his "Project Lead The Way" course.

Mike

phil_o
01-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Hi Scott,

I teach woodworking grades 7-12. We've had a benchtop Shopbot for four years. Ours is a PRT. I don't think an Alpha is really necessary for the type of projects we do.
Your main concern appears to be software. For the first three years we only had Part Wizard available. It's a good piece of sotware but it takes a while to learn. This is the first year we've had VCarve Pro to work with. This has been one of the best purchases I have made in a long time. We are doing much more with our Shopbot than we ever did before. My 7th and 8th graders pick up on this very quickly. The preview feature is wonderful.
We also purchased the Vector Art Mega Collection. This was a good choice.
The Shopbot was an excellent addition to the Wood shop but the software make a big difference in what you'll do with it.

harryball
01-11-2007, 04:57 PM
My daughter is 8 years old, she uses PW and VCarve Pro like it was second nature. Whips out a sign she wants then begs me to cut it for her on the bot. I rarely have too much to "fix" for her. Generally I just have to fix the toolpath cutting depths.

Robert

ryan_slaback
01-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Scott, I teach in a small school district in Wisconsin. I teach two introductory classes of middle schoolers (7th grade and 8th grade) The classes last for 9 weeks. My middle schoolers use the bot but they simply run a file that I have already created. I really wouldn't advise you to purchase one solely for use with younger kids. Here is why...

While the software is straightforward enough, it takes a while for most of the kids to figure out what they are doing. Sure, some of them will grab on and run with it but a few others (particularily those not interested in your courses) will muddle through guessing along the way. This becomes a problem when the advanced kids get bored and the other kids break bits.

Second, middle schoolers don't know what they want. My high schoolers, know what they want to make for individual projects. Middle schoolers sit at the design machine with their fingers in their noses trying to figure out "what is kewl".

I do like the idea of exposing them to the technology and letting them "have it make something" I just don't think I would touch designwork with a 10 foot pole. If I had to figure out a way to get my 7th graders to design something in part wizard and then cut it I would probably rip my hair out and it would eat up way too much time in my exploratories. Your mileage may vary of course.

wiese
01-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Scott,

I recently put together a set of lessons for use in our high school tech lab. They are posted on the ShopBot website. I tried to write directions that explain why they are doing each step instead of simply telling them which button to push. They should work OK for junior high, but there is a fair amount of reading and following directions involved. Take a look and you be the judge. Having taught junior high several years ago, I would recommend building in several teacher check points especially before any potentially hazardous steps.

I agree with Ryan on the design aspect. High school students also struggle with design work. Among other things, the lessons involve creating a name plaque. At least they will be able to create something that is different from their classmates.

eastondrums
01-13-2007, 12:19 PM
Thank you so much for all of your ideas. You guys are great!