PDA

View Full Version : table base coordinates

jerryk
09-17-2016, 10:10 AM
I need some help understanding table base coordinates vs using the C3 command to reset home using proximity switches. I would like to have the C3 command move to the move to the ZT based 0,0 after finding home from prox switches. Is there a way to have C3 move to some offset location or must I physically move my prox sensers to move that location.
Thanks for helping an old feller out.

ADAPT_Shop-Brady
09-17-2016, 01:50 PM
I'm at home, so I can't play with the code and give you a complete answer, but there are a few ways you could make that happen. Here are a couple that pop into my head:
1. If every time you do a C3, you "ALWAYS" want it to move to a specific coordinate afterwards, you could add that line to the end of the C3 file (M3 x,y,z)
2. Another option, if you just want to have a simple keystroke shortcut to move the cutter to a predetermined location would be adding your own custom cut file. Then all you would have to do is press CC+your custom # to run that file after you completed your C3 routine.

bleeth
09-17-2016, 02:12 PM
Not sure what you mean by "move to the ZT based 0,0.
Your prox locations are the movement limits and are typically a little away from where the machine would hit the stops for safety reasons. Setting up your C3 home can be done manually by entering in any positive offset number you want and is usually done for the corner of your spoilboard, which is also used to align parts. So you find that corner manually with keystroke moves and a pointed bit, hit z2 to set both at zero, and move slowly till you hit your prox switch and record the distance. That's the number you want in your settings. I believe there is now a built in program that you can run during set-up to do this for you, but as an "old timer" I've never used it. I find it easier to make those little adjustments til I'm satisfied I'm at the corner of the board properly in relative mode of moving so if I want to move, say 1/32 or so I enter .003 instead adding or subtracting to get the next location. You could also just press zx (if finding the x 0 sweet spot after each move til you get it dialed in.

jerryk
09-18-2016, 10:26 AM
Thanks for your help. The problem started when I upgraded to latest shopbot software. Both limit checking and the C3 command were different. I solved problem by writing short routine that I can run afterC3 to go to the old home position. I guess I should not have upgraded shopbot program and stuck with the old tried and functioning version.

ADAPT_Shop-Brady
09-19-2016, 11:44 AM
Thanks for your help. The problem started when I upgraded to latest shopbot software. Both limit checking and the C3 command were different. I solved problem by writing short routine that I can run afterC3 to go to the old home position. I guess I should not have upgraded shopbot program and stuck with the old tried and functioning version.

I'm in the shop today so I can be a little more precise with my comments and advice. Did you try going through the Shopbot Setup under the Tools Tab [TS]?

jerryk
09-20-2016, 07:21 AM
Thanks Brady,
This is exactly what I needed, and automatic at that. I am now back up and running.

Nate Sirek
09-21-2016, 02:09 PM
I found this thread just exactly what I needed to read after a PC and SB3 software update. I'm still having problems with my Z axis being wrong though. When I run a C2 and zero with my plate, it thinks its at 1.0" in the control software, but when I put a tape measure on it, it's only sitting at about .375". Initial thoughts were that maybe I have a variable set wrong somewhere? I have Vexta stepper motors. Model ASM911AA on both my x and y axis' and a model ASM98AA-T10 motor on my Z axis.

Anyone have a similar issue after a PC and software update?

Gary Campbell
09-21-2016, 02:28 PM
Nate...
Have you adjusted the unit values on the Z axis for the 10:1 motor?

Nate Sirek
09-21-2016, 02:47 PM
Gary,

No I have not. I've been doing some casual SB manual reading about this though. What would the values change to for the 10:1 motor? X and Y values are set to 1273.2395 (for 25 tooth pinions). Z is set to that as well but I cant see the Z pinion to count its teeth but from what I can remember it has a different ratio then the x and y motors. Not exactly sure what the value should be though. Thanks for your help!

Gary Campbell
09-21-2016, 04:08 PM
Nate..
I think that if you do a little more checking you will find that the "1273" number is for 20 tooth pinions.

I assume you have a 25t pinion on your Z, if so thy 4138.0285 as a unit value, if its a 20 then use 5172.5357

Nate Sirek
09-22-2016, 08:44 AM
Gary,

I did look and my previous PC was setup for 20t pinions. I've never changed them. I tried looking at my screen shot of my new PCs settings to compare when I got home last night but apparently my screen shot was such poor res that I couldn't zoom in and see.

Perhaps one of my values towards the bottom of the settings is set wrong. I'll double check and post an update when I get to the shop today. Unfortunately, I have a phone tech support call with Microsoft from 8-10a today as my laptop started freezing at startup after one of Microsoft's Win 10 updates. Some days tech helps, others it eats time!

Do you by chance know if ShopBot would have put a different size pinion on the Z axis than whats on my X and Y?

Also, I'm pretty bummed out that I missed your seminar back in August in River Falls. I guess that's what I get for not being so active on the forums. Had I known it was happening I would have been there for sure. Next time!

Gary Campbell
09-22-2016, 09:26 AM
Nate..
Assuming the 10:1 motor has a 12mm shaft you could have 20, 25 or 30 tooth pinions installed. The ASM911's have a 14mm shaft and there is only a 20t that fits them. To get an accurate unit value you will have to verify which pinion you have installed.

Sorry to have missed you at River Falls. Kyle has a great facility and there was a really good group of users there.

Nate Sirek
09-22-2016, 11:52 AM
Gary,

So I got it figured out. At the bottom of my Unit Values in my new software, the Z Res Multiple was set to 4. In my old PC if was set to 1. I stopped at the shop this morning and changed it to 1. Quick ran a new C2 and now everything is working perfectly. Not sure what those multipliers are about at the bottom of the setup page but it's working which is all that matters!

Thanks for all the input, I finally fixed something without waiting for SB support. Baby steps.

Gary Campbell
09-22-2016, 03:46 PM
That is the multiplier for steps produced between jogs (rapid) and moves (feed). The controller puts out 1/4 the number of steps for jogs as there would be for moves, and then programming in the drive multiplies it back.