PDA

View Full Version : Another Trestle Table

Brian Harnett
09-20-2016, 08:42 PM
Getting towards the last of my maple from trees knocked down from hurricane sandy. this table is the same design as my last it all breaks down and assembles with the wedges in legs and top.

Will get to finishing I hope this week.

Have some cherry logs coming to mill in a few weeks I cant wait just about out of the last batch, cherry sells better.

I really enjoy making furniture from log to final product each piece has a story.

Though larger orders I buy my material from commercial mills.

http://i.imgur.com/OWaxUg8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/U9gGYkI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/gJHUfFe.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FaOVaXq.jpg

myxpykalix
09-21-2016, 01:48 AM
I have no idea why you don't take the time to teach a paid class in some of the beautiful craftsmanship you use when creating these beautiful tables. Excellent job!

scottp55
09-21-2016, 08:41 AM
VERY Nice Brian!!
Depth of butterflies in slab?
Going to look Nice finished:)
scott

Brian Harnett
09-21-2016, 10:27 AM
Jack I help anyone that wants to learn, but being a good teacher is an art in itself.

Scott the butterflies are 1 1/8 deep, they are cherry

scottp55
09-21-2016, 10:59 AM
Thanks Brian!
Slab/plank was how thick? (sorry)
Funny, after trying to teach a girlfriend how to ski (which is instinctive to me)ONCE!
I gladly paid for ski lessons for girlfriends afterwards! Teaching is an Art!

Brian Harnett
09-21-2016, 11:41 AM
The top boards are around 1.5 inches thick. I mill a lot of my boards at 1.75 they usually clean up nice at 1.5 If I need a lot of 4/4 I will contact a guy I know with a band mill, not very efficient with a chainsaw mill to do thinner stock when losing a quarter inch to sawdust.

scottp55
09-21-2016, 08:56 PM
Thanks Brian!
Good to know for live edge bookmatched:)
scott

myxpykalix
09-23-2016, 12:28 AM
Jack I help anyone that wants to learn, but being a good teacher is an art in itself.

Scott the butterflies are 1 1/8 deep, they are cherry

So if i come up to NY and knock on your door you'll let me look over your shoulder while you work? lol

Brian Harnett
09-23-2016, 08:19 AM
So if i come up to NY and knock on your door you'll let me look over your shoulder while you work? lol

Jack funny you said that an architectural decorative painter and finisher came by two days ago and wants to do just that, when I slow down a bit I will invite him over when I have the time to explain what I am doing.

chiloquinruss
09-23-2016, 10:21 AM
I have been mentoring at the local high school. Teaching is NOT an art form if the student really is interested in what is being taught. If they are there because it MIGHT be interesting or fun then you are right that is where the art comes in to get them really interested. I have 22 in one class and 20 in the other, of that, 4 are GOOD students, the rest are taking up space and time. I have parents permission for two of the students and they have come to my shop and have run my machines in my shop. The classroom doesn't have a ShopBot but they have a plasma water table so most of the same drafting, disciplines are similar. I think the project being done is also a big part of the attention factor. I would think building that really cool looking furniture would certainly fill that bill. I know it's got my attention! ;) Russ

Brian Harnett
09-23-2016, 02:29 PM
Russ you most likely are a natural teacher, at my last real job I trained employees at times but that was one on one and they had a job to do. A class of high school teenagers? forget it.

My Vo tech teacher in high school is very likely the reason I am doing woodworking today.

myxpykalix
09-23-2016, 07:26 PM
Russ, the four who are really interested are the ones who deserve your attention and you should just dismiss the other 20. I would think you'd have more success creating 4 good woodworkers then 24 half interested ones. I can't think of any of my teachers who were "inspirational". My woodshop and metalshop teachers were "instructional" but it was the drive inside me that furthered my interests and talents.

bobmoore
09-23-2016, 08:55 PM
I was one of the twenty when I was in 4-H as a preteen or young teen but I was bit by the woodworking bug and wouldn't realize it for 25 or 30 years. You never know what seeds will grow and when.

Ajcoholic
09-25-2016, 09:04 AM
Teaching is for sure a special calling. It takes a special type of person to do it the way it should be done. I had some very good, "old school" tradesman who retired from work and took up teaching - in both high school and woodworking college. I still think of them often, and what they tried to pass on to me.

I am not bad one on one. Had lots of co-op students over the years, some who are now in the trade. I have my first student starting this week, in my "new" shop. First one in 5 years. The last one I had is working in another custom shop after attending college, and is doing well. It is a great way to show the younger generation what this trade is about and give them a taste of day to day life in the shop.

Brian, I always like your tables and other stuff - unique. I wish I had access to some native woods up here, but all we have is black spruce and jack pine. Great for making 2x4's but not much else..

myxpykalix
09-25-2016, 10:02 AM
I guess you could come down here and smuggle some nice walnut, cedar, and oak trees back with you. lol