PDA

View Full Version : I know it's just a beginner's project, but my first and I'm Happy! (ring box)

carolinasmith
10-08-2016, 03:17 PM

Stabilized spalted maple box, stabilized/colorized maple burl lid with CNC design filled in with epoxy. Used the innards from Amazon bought ring boxes (I was running out of project time), the black velvet/ring slots.

Never did CNC before. I'm hooked.

Looking forward to upgrading the look of future boxes with Fingermaker! software.

Bob Eustace
10-08-2016, 05:27 PM
Lovely work ! Suggest you have a look at Toms fingers posted last week.

scottp55
10-08-2016, 08:48 PM
NICE! :)
FingerMaker is fun!!
Need to get back into it:(
You'll like it!
scott

carolinasmith
10-09-2016, 12:11 AM
why is your box under running water?

myxpykalix
10-09-2016, 06:25 AM
why is your box under running water?

To show the tightness of the joints, i guess.

myxpykalix
10-09-2016, 06:28 AM
NICE! :)
FingerMaker is fun!!
Need to get back into it:(
You'll like it!
scott
I bought that program and have never made anything with it. I needed your inspiration to get me motivated! Maybe i'll get some small pieces out and experiment.

scottp55
10-09-2016, 07:36 AM
Carolina,
CarveOne on the Vectric forum was trying to make a functional wood canteen, and was going to use paraffin and was worried about heat soaking glue joints and pouring hot wax and if it would harden too fast;
http://209.236.120.184/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22323&view=next
On Page 2, I got curious and experimented with the very first box I made with Fingermaker...I LIKE experimenting and Gert had been playing with waxes as well...so:)

I'm glad Jack! Some pretty cool joints can be made, but I got sidetracked with 2 years of getting the second business making buttons:)
Don't think I've made anything except on G.'s first 3 Betas....lots of cool new features in the last version that I haven't played with.
Got more time to play since we gave the second company and Desktop away July first:)
Sorry for 'Jacking Carolina:(
scott
edit; Carolina, how did you go about stabilizing the Spalted?

Herb Holmes
10-09-2016, 01:37 PM
edit; Carolina, how did you go about stabilizing the Spalted?

Scott check out Turn Tex Woodworks if you'd like to know about stabilized wood , look at Cactus Juice , could be beneficial to some of what you do ? He has a bunch of vidoes and a good FAQ page

https://www.turntex.com/

I stabilize some woods , especially spalted maple for certain projects , it works great , and stabilized wood machines great too .

carolinasmith
10-09-2016, 02:19 PM
Yes, Turntex is the go to (he is also on Amazon). The lid was from a pricey, $57, 4x3x2.5 inches block, but it was so beautiful, I bought to save for a special project ( and the ring box was such ).

That cost made me look into doing it myself. The box was from a bowl blank (woodturningz.com), not stabilized, 6x6x2 inches for $28.50. I stabilized it myself and have a lot left even after the ring box. I bought two cardboard Boxes ( 12x12x6 inches each,$20/box) Full of maple burl block pieces, for $40, so, since I make small projects (bottle stoppers, pens, etc), well, I'm saving money in the long run.

The process boils down to submerging the wood in cactus juice (doesn't have anything to do with the plant), sucking the air out via vacuum, and when the pressure is released, the juice goes into the wood. Bake in a toaster oven for a couple of hours, voila (that's a 'basic' explanation).

scottp55
10-09-2016, 03:30 PM
Thanks!
I was wondering if it was Cactus Juice or the wood hardener.
I've raided peoples firewood piles for burl/curly/figured/birdseye, and get some slight punk once in a while.
Bookmarked(again:)
scott