PDA

View Full Version : Reset Drivers???

kubotaman
03-18-2009, 12:48 AM
I am new to using my new Shopbot and am confused. Everything was perfect and I turned off the control box and computer. I came back a few minutes later and started the computer and then the control box. I can't begin to "air cut" any file.The screen always tells me to "reset the drivers". I have restarted the computer along with the control box numerous times along with resetting the control box. The spindle control box doesn't even want to lite up. I am at my wits end. Can someone point me in the right direction?

myxpykalix
03-18-2009, 01:51 AM
To reset usually you just click the front button on your control box.

Previous to all of that when i start a 3D file I do a C3 find my 0,0 on the table

move bit to my material 0,0 record those coordinates then zero my x,y

If that doesn't work do a total shutdown of everything. Computer control box, spindle.

I know you're saying "I already did all of that!"
HOWEVER you now need to go over to your circuit breaker box and turn the power supply that is going to the control box off.
The bot keeps in it's memory certain things like position and other data that regardless of how many times you shut the box off will keep that in its memory, that I believe is your problem.

But keep in mind if you have a half finished file on the table you lose all your coordinates BUT with those written down coordinates earlier you can get your place right back by refollowing those procedures.
Hopefully that is your answer if not then as my granddaughters say..."too bad, so sad!" lol

erik_f
03-18-2009, 07:18 AM
You may also want to check your USB connection speed. There is a utility under tools in the control software I believe. Make sure that all of your windows power saving nannies are off also.

gerald_martin
03-18-2009, 08:34 AM
Hello Daryl:

Sound like you have an Alpha tool?

The contactors in the Alpha box will only make it "come alive" on initial startup after you press the reset button (on box or on the remote pendant if you have one).

Otherwise you should almost never need to press the reset button. This resets the entire control box/drivers.

You should press the reset button after turning the power switch on, before trying to connect the SB3 software with the box. This also powers up the spindle VFD.

If this does not work DO call tech support...you may have a problem in the box, or in the connection to the remote start pendant?

Best wishes.

Gerald

kubotaman
03-21-2009, 12:28 AM
Found out what my problem was. It was the magnetic contacts in the control box had stuck in the open position. Thanks for the suggestions!

milton
01-18-2010, 11:35 AM
Daryl, I have an alpha machine and am experiencing the same thing as you mentioned in your post. Can you give me more information as to how you fixed your problem. I have been through all the other suggestions and suspect it must be open contacts also. thanks

ron_moorehead
01-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Do you have Alpha machines, the ones with the silver control box? If so how old are they? My Alpha is about 4 years old and I had a problem with the contrator sticking. I contacted ShopBot and found out they had some bad contactors in that date range and replaced them for free. Give them a call.

milton
01-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Ron, thanks for the advice and quick response, My alpha is about two years old and has really been a pleasure until yesterday. I have tried the suggestions listed above and feel pretty sure the contactors are not working correctly. I will contact Shopbot. thanks