PDA

View Full Version : Delta VDB spindle speed control settings

kc10flteng
12-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Hi guys...I just installed the spindle speed control board. After much pain trying to get that portion of the control software to stop locking up the SB3 software, I'm at the point where I need to change the settings on my VFD-B. I have managed to misplace the instructions that came with the VFD-B that will guide me in changing the settings. Does anybody have good working settings that will get me going? Thanks

br928
12-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Ron, Here is a link to the Delta VFD-B manual.

http://www.delta.com.tw/product/em/drive/ac_motor/download/manual/VFD-B_manual_en.pdf

kc10flteng
03-10-2009, 11:01 PM
Hey guys...sorry to be a pest on this one...BUT... I'm still having quite a bit of a headace with this VFD Spindle RPM board. I have managed to get the Delta VFD, the board, and the SB software talking to each other. I can do a shift + or shift - on the keyboard and see a corresponding change on the VFD rpm window. After I do this a couple of times, the RPM window locks up and I cannot make any more changes and it requires a task manager shutdown to close the program. I suspect a communications protocol settings issue at the VFD end. I'm not sure I have enough info to correctly set the VFD for PC control. Any ideas on where to look for an answer? Please don't give me a link to the VFD manual...it is no help - dunno what I'm looking at and the Shopbot tech support silence is deafening. Thanks in advance, Ron.

kc10flteng
03-10-2009, 11:46 PM
A correction...when the spindle rpm program is called up and used...it locks up and is impossible to shutdown even with a task manager "end process". It seems that when the spindle program is called up...there are two instances of them in operation.

kc10flteng
03-12-2009, 02:31 AM
Hey guys...really need some advice here!

Talked to Ryan at Shopbot about the lock up problem with the VFD Spindle Rpm controller. Apparently, I have managed to install it correctly and the board and computer are talking to each other - at least initially. Electrical noise may or may not be a factor here - but I don't think so. The suggestion to ground the usb cable shielding was acted on but to no avail. So....I'm going to expand on what I'm experiencing with my bot in the hopes that some of the forum may have run across the same or similar problem and may have an idea of what I can try to correct this.

Bot: 48 X 96 prtAlpha, 5Hp Colombo with a Delta VFD-B. SB3 Control Software - version 18. OS Platform - Windows XP .
The whole rig is totally factory - and on its own, the bot runs like a rock star.
Computer: Dell 510 with Linksys wireless (normally disabled).

The problem. When starting SB3 and selecting [T]ools, then Spindle [R]pm Control, the Rpm window opens up normally, and the fill in sheet accepts all the inputs (Rpm value, Com port, etc). At this point, I can enter an rpm value, hit enter and the rpm window accepts the entry and I see the VFD accept the same rpm value. I can also make an rpm change on the VFD keypad and that change is also reflected in the Spindle control window. I CANNOT make a change to the rpm value in the Spindle Control window using shift + or -. So the system work "OK" - at least until I open up a toolpath start the spindle using the start switch on the control box. At this point, the Spindle Rpm window and program becomes unresponsive.... and locks up. It even locks up the SB3 platform. The Spindle Rpm window will keep asking what port I am using - but will not let me make any inputs to it. The Spindle RPM window will NOT be able to be shut down - nor can I close it using the task manager. A whole computer shutdown is required to close both SB3 and the Spindle Rpm programs. So the problem manifests itself as soon as I start the spindle itself or run a tool path.

The consensus seems to be a communications issue or a electrical noise. I suspect a transmission prototcol issue. I am wondering if I have set the correct group and program settings in the VFD keypad. Ryan at ShopBot has suggested that different computers have different characteristics and that I may want to install a USB2 hub to see if that may work.

Could I bug those of you that are using the VFD Speed Controller board to maybe look at their settings and see if I may have not set either my computer up correctly or if I have not set my VFD up correctly. The computer and Bot have been working flawlessly up to this point and continues to do so - as long as I don't fire up the Spindle Rpm Program.

Last thing... has anybody written a "with speed" post processor program that I can use. I use ArtCam products. Thanks in advance guys! Ron

srwtlc
03-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Ron,

I've been running the Beta versions of SB3 exclusively and I have had similar problems. Even more so with the last beta version. I'm using a HSD spindle with a Yaskawa VFD and the RS485 board (do it yourself version of the spindle control).

Mine works fine most of the time, but once in a while will throw up a "runtime error 8051 could not set comm state there may be one or more invalid communication parameters".

When that happens, just as you have seen, the only way to end task on everything is to just shutdown/restart. You cannot use the spindle control again until you shutdown/restart the computer. Trying end task with task manager is futile. I don't even bother trying anymore and just give it the boot.

I've had some communication with SB about this, but no answers as of yet.

ssflyer
09-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Scott,

I'm interested in this "do it yourself" version of the spindle control. Could you tell me a little more about it?

Thanks,
Ron