PDA

View Full Version : Tramming the Y axis on PRS alpha, where to adjust?

Robert_Purvis
07-07-2017, 01:07 PM
I know there is a million threads on tramming I understand what it is and I have measured it. X is easy just loosen mounting bolts and tap with deadblow and I have that under 0.002 over 5 inches now.

It's Y I can't really figure out how to tram outside of placing some shim stock between spindle and the mounting rail? I am 0.020 out over 5 inches on the y axis is more than I really want. Is there an adjustment I am not seeing?

srwtlc
07-07-2017, 03:31 PM
That's the least method. I've got a few of those plastic shims in mine. Depends on the model year as to what could be done next. Mine was way out and I had to loosen the end plates and try to rotate the beam as much as I could. I don't recommend that route though unless you can't get it any other way. With the shims, be sure to back up the middle bolts some as well.

Robert_Purvis
07-07-2017, 04:33 PM
That's the least method. I've got a few of those plastic shims in mine. Depends on the model year as to what could be done next. Mine was way out and I had to loosen the end plates and try to rotate the beam as much as I could. I don't recommend that route though unless you can't get it any other way. With the shims, be sure to back up the middle bolts some as well.

Thanks, Yeah I saw I could tweak the beam but for trying to reach 1/2 distance which is 10 thou seemed like it would be much harder to do. There didn't seem to be anyway to adjust the angle with the vgroove rollers either, granted I can move the machine 10-15 thou just but grabbing the gantry and twisting but that's why it's a router and not a milling machine.

Need to order some shim stock though.

srwtlc
07-08-2017, 01:12 AM
SB used to supply some of the plastic 'fork' shaped shims. They were for shimming the side v-rail/aluminum bar on the side extrusions. I'm sure that they would have some to send you. They were easier to work with.