PDA

View Full Version : Hesitation between jog and move commands

gabepari
12-13-2008, 01:27 PM
This has never really bothered me, since I'm usually more concerned with quality than quantity (except with food of course
) But, I'm in the middle of a job drilling 15K+ holes.

The bot seems to hesitate between each command, not much, but just enough so that when your drilling 1500 holes in one sheet of plywood it gets annoying.

I'm thinking out loud as I don't want to stop the machine right now to test, but instead of "jogging" between each plunge, would it be better to "move"? Does the control software have a built in pause at the end of each jog? Maybe to allow things to settle before going off in a new direction.

Could it be a VR setting that would eliminate this pause?

I can deal with the pause for the rest of the job, the customer is paying for the time and he is happy that his weird project is even able to be done. but I would like to figure it out for future swiss cheese making events...

Thanks for listening, any thoughts are welcome. And I will be testing some ideas Monday, when the bot stops drilling holes.

Gabe "Ooooh so many holes" Pari

srwtlc
12-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Gabe, try bumping up the xy jog ramp speed and the jog ramp rate. You don't want it to slam around, but since you're just drilling holes, you could make it start and stop a bit faster. Lowering your safe height will save some time too.

gpari
12-13-2008, 11:44 PM
Scott, safe height was .040 off the work, so not much lost there. Where I am losing time is at the end of jog commands, it hesitates before plunging. Then after the plunge it immediately jogs the z up, hesitates, jogs to new xy, hesitates plunges, rinse and repeat. It seems to transition smoothly after a move command, but after any jog it hesitates before executing the next command.

I'll report back Monday after I'm done drilling.

Thanks,

Gabe

gabepari
12-17-2008, 07:01 PM
OK, haven't played with ramping values yet. BUT I took one of my original files, replaced all the "J3"s with "M3"s, changed the MS to 8.0,1.0 and ran the new file. No hesitations, all transitions were smooth and instant.

Next time I have an opportunity to drill 15000 holes, I try this new strategy and see if it speeds things up

Thanks,

Gabe