PDA

View Full Version : Stutterring p-p-p-roblem!!!!

gamisano
09-01-2006, 03:24 PM
OK, when I jog my gantry with the keyboard in both the x & y axes, I am having a problem at the beginning of the moves. It wants to hesitate or stutter for a second. It seems to only do this at speeds greater than .8 inches per second. It never used to do this...so I called shopbot and they said it was the ramping speed that was the problem. So I reset the default ramping values .4 (somehow it changed) and it helped a bit, but it is still doing it. I incresed the ramping value to .6 and it is even a bit better, but still evident at higher jog speeds. Anyone have a similar problem or any incite as to what the problem is. It is definitely a new thing.

Also, I think this might be related, but I can't seem to run a part file above .8 ips with out the gantry losing steps and semmingly bogging down. I especially noticed it when I was doing some v-carving and 1.25 ips.

My machine is a PRT 48x96 with a 3.5 HP colombo spindle. Thanks in advance for any help or pointers.

Best regards,

Guido

robert_cheal
09-01-2006, 03:58 PM
Hi, Guido

My old computer was failing and lost the ability to keep up with the PRT ShopBot at 3" per second. I started losing steps until I lowered the speed and then the speed still seemed slower than what the SB software was set at. I bought a surplus computer: Pentium 4, 1.60ghZ, 256 MB of Ram, and installed the latest SB software. The improved performance is smoother and sounds so much better. This may or may not relate to your problem.

Robert

Brady Watson
09-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Guido,
Check to make sure that:

1) Absolutely nothing else is running in the background of Windows. If using XP, check via the task manager. If using 98SE, then ctrl/alt/del once and see what is running. Have you loaded any new software lately?

2) Be sure that PW is not open.

3) If using a wireless keyboard, check the batteries.

4) Check the baud speed of the Com port you have assigned to the control box.

5) Turn off the control box AND restart Windows.

6) If running DOS version, use UP command to get a better timing number for sycronizing timing between computer and SB2.39

-B

gamisano
09-02-2006, 10:12 PM
You guys are awesome! I closed out the myriad of windows & programs I had running, then restarted the computer, and now it works as it once did...nice-n-smooth. Thanks again for savin' my a@#!

Guido

rcann
09-11-2006, 03:10 PM
Looking for any more help on the stop and go, hesitation in the x, and y axis moves. Follewed the above suggestion still having problems.