PDA

View Full Version : SB3 Preview not working

sneeman
08-21-2006, 01:44 PM
Whenever I try and run a preview without the Simulate checkbox selected, I get an error in the preview.wrl file (see attachment). I've tried unistalling version 3.4.25, deleting the ShopBot folder from my hard drive, re-installing 3.4.19 and 3.3.18, copying the preview.wrl file from different versions, and nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

paco
08-21-2006, 04:00 PM
Was it running fine before?

If not, have you make sure that the shopbot.ini file was delete/move from it's original location?

Normally when I get this, I just have to reload SB3.

Are you having your system language as anything else than USA; sometime need to make some changes in there to make SB3 work correctly... maybe this been fixed on late releases. I've been correcting this for a couple of users around and SB are aware of this issue. I believe it's relate to "," vs "." or such...

ed_lang
08-21-2006, 04:39 PM
Matthew,
Try this.
Run the C3 to zero X&Y (if you have the prox switches)
Then switch to PREVIEW mode and run your file.

Was your file created with V-Carve PRO?
If it was, try doing a FE (file edit) and putting a ' in front of the FIRST pause statement and saving it. Now try it again.

For me, the problem is with the first PAUSE after the prompt to set the router speed.

If I have not been clear, feel welcome to email me.

mikejohn
08-21-2006, 11:57 PM
If I have any problems where I am unsure if it is my cutting file, the shopbot software, or even the hardware, I run this simple file (its in mm).

J3,0,0,0
MZ,10
MX,300
MY,300
MX,0
MY,0
MZ,5

It is about as simple a file you can get to check movement (+/-) on all axis.

If this works (also in simulation) then you can eliminate the Shopbot software (and hardware)
and concentrate on your cut file.

..............Mike

sneeman
08-22-2006, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the input, everyone. I failed to mention that I have been running the software without problems for a few months using version 3.4.16 which came with the machine. Only after upgrading to newer versions from the ShopBot website have I had any problems. I am creating the files with ArtCAM Insignia, but I am hand-coding quite a bit after the fact to add comments and instructions for bit changes, piece movement, etc. so if I get hit by a bus, my company will be able to run and understand my files without using a spiritual advisor.

So, here's what I've done:

I've tried Paco's suggestion of removing the shopbot.ini file, with no luck. I've even unistalled, removed the entire SB3 folder where the .ini file is located, reinstalled, with no luck.

Second, I tried Ed's suggestion in commenting out my first PAUSE statement, which didn't work, so I commented out all pause statements, which did work, even though I had one pause deep in the file which I didn't catch and comment out. So it seems the problem is the first few PAUSE statements. However it is quite annoying to have to comment out the pauses since I use these to prompt the user when to change bits, flip sheets, etc. and I need to be able to preview these to make sure they are in the correct sequence. I didn't run the proximity switch sequence since I do all my developing on my office computer which isn't connected to the machine in the shop.

Third, I tried Mike's idea and his little file ran fine, but that didn't really eliminate the software as the issue, since these files all worked fine until I upgraded beyond version 3.4.16, so I'm pretty sure it is the newer software. I contacted ShopBot customer support and they claimed to know nothing of this issue, gave me the same pointers you all have given, but not much additional progress there.

Here's where I'm at now:

I've uninstalled the newer version and returned to version 3.4.16 from the CD which came with the machine, and now it works fine again. I can run the previews without fear of dying. So for now I will just continue using the old version. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? (Phew! We should get commissions for all this troubleshooting, huh?)

Thanks!

bill.young
08-22-2006, 01:45 PM
Hey Matthew,

I've been working with Ed to figure this one out...he's the only other person that I've heard of that has seen this problem. We thought that it was intermittent but he just figured out how to make it consistently happen yesterday so now that we can duplicate it at will we'll hopefully be able to find the problem soon.

Ed's scenario requires a pretty specific sequence of steps though...start the software in Move mode, run a file, switch to Preview, and then run a file with a PAUSE as the first real command...nothing before it except comments. It sounds though like you are only running in Preview on that computer and are getting that error..is that correct?

If you could email me with any details on your setup and maybe a sample file that causes the problem I'll see if I can duplicate it on my ShopBot.

Thanks,
Bill

sneeman
08-22-2006, 02:40 PM
Bill,

Yes, I am only running preview on this one computer, but I also do previews sometimes on the machine running the ShopBot itself. I get the same results on either computer when I do the preview, but only when I have the "Simulate" checkbox un-selected. The simulate does seem to work fine, but I can't sit around waiting for the full simulation every time I want to see where my pauses end up.

All of my files start with comments and then a PAUSE so the user knows what is being cut before it starts cutting, and what bit to start off with.

I'm emailing you a sample file of a simple cabinet I did for a bathroom vanity box with drawers.

Thanks!
Matthew

jerry
08-23-2006, 03:23 PM
Hi Bill,

I can get the same problem using the latest version of the software by just putting a couple of pauses in a file and running the file in preview.

Also once you get it to happen you need to restart the software after making changes to the part file otherwise you will keep getting the error.

Here is what I did to get the problem
Pause
Pause
End

The second Pause creates the error.

Here is a workaround that worked for me
if 1=1 then Pause
if 1=1 then Pause
End

Hope this Helps

bill.young
08-23-2006, 04:19 PM
Hey Jerry,

Thanks...and thanks to Ed and Matthew for sending files that have been a big help sorting it out. We're working on a fix and hopefully will have something soon.

FYI it turns out that just about any command between the PAUSE statements (except comments) keeps the error from occurring.

Bill