PDA

View Full Version : X & Y Gantry Upgrades

uffabrew
02-18-2008, 06:57 PM
Are there any X & Y rail + Gantry Upgrades from Shopbot? Or does one need to get look for a third party suppliers?

I have an old Cable Drive system that was upgraded to a rack and pinion back in the late 90's. Last spring I upgraded it with a 4G control box, put we are still using the old uni-strut rails with the sliding screen door bearings.

I like what the 4G box has done, but now the old uni-struct and rails are showing a lot of wear. Instead of replacing them, I would like to upgrade.

Any ideas, solutions, from other ShopBot owners/upgraders?

waynec
02-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Eddie
I have an old PR machine that I upgraded with a new Ascension controller, new Bishop Wisecarver (BWC) rails and wheels, and a new 8020 aluminum gantry. I also added a new Z axis and beefier Z axis motor. I still have unistrut X axis in place, but my gantry rides on BWC rails attached to the unistrut.

Overall its been a good upgrade. The controller seems to work well, very reliable and powerful. The best part is the control software. I really like Mach 3.

What I am not thrilled about is that I did not get better rigidity and squareness from my new gantry and rails. Part of this may be design, and part was surely the build quality of my improvements.

Even with that caveat, I'm very pleased with the results. Way faster and reliable.

Good luck with it.

Wayne C

steve4460
02-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Hi Guys

Check out this guy on ebay Item number: 160208755644
That might be what you need .

Bot on

smreish
02-21-2008, 11:50 PM
Another really useful upgrade is the MechMate gantry , ycar and z slide.
Visit www.Mechmate.com (http://www.Mechmate.com) for all the details.