PDA

View Full Version : Water flooded control box

jelpspeed
09-20-2008, 01:03 AM
Hi Guys
I bought a used shopbot last week, and received it this monday, we are preparing the last electrical instalation, but today it rained like the sky was falling down, and while I was buying some parts at home depot, my workshop was flooding, and we left the control box in the floor because I went to get some screws to hang it on the wall so water got inside.
when my employee called me, the box was in the water for 1 hr, the lower circuit board was soaked in water. so after 3 hours of traffic trying to get back to my workshop.
I dried it with a hair dryer, I really dried it well, because I took off every connector and dried it well, but I really lost where this one was connected to.
I hope you can help me out with a picture on where is it connected, I see 2 possibilities, the one I highlighted with a green rectangle, and the one with a red rectangle,
can you please help me out with this?
tomorrow was supposed to be the training and inauguration of the router shop, we will be using it until monday, to be totally certain that it has no damage.
I also want to know how the plug is connected, because it can be connected in both ways.
a picture will help me connect it the same way it was.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards

Ever Lopez

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/26/34360.jpg

stevem
09-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Ever, let the board dry for at least a week before powering it. There are all kinds of tiny crevices that water has entered and water is still in them.

myxpykalix
09-20-2008, 09:42 AM
I would lay it out in the sun and let the warmth from the sun heat the whole thing up uniformly.

jelpspeed
09-21-2008, 07:01 PM
yes, the good part of all of this is that it wasn{t connected to the electricity, I unplugged every connector and dried it well, I will leave it open with a fan blowing directly to it trying to evaporate all the possible moisture in it for the next days.
Yesterday we spent the whole day cleaning and taking all the water out of the workshop.
but I still need the picture to see where that cable is connected.
I hope someone can help me posting a picture or emailing it to me.
Thanks in advance

Ever

Towersonline
09-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Ever, Look on the main board you will see another board mounted at right angles to it. There should be an open socket to plug the cable end into.

If this should ever happen again (to late now) you want to displace the water not dry it out. Flush the board and connectors with alcohol and dry with canned air. The canned air is recommended because it has no moisture content.

Wet boards when dried will sometimes salt up and corrode the circuit traces and the connections around the components.

I probably saved over 100 fire dept radios using this method.

Hope it helps

Bill Thorpe

jelpspeed
09-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks guys

good avdvices what you gave me.
a friend told me to spray WD-40 to the board, to displace the water and moisture, but I was afraid of making more problems that way.
I checked for corrosion today and I couldn{t find any, so I{m pretty optimistic about it working fine today.
I emailed the support team at shopbot, and Frank replied to me really quickly with the picture and some infomration on my router, now I know I bought an Alpha router =).
Thanks to you guys for your help, I will post again as soon as we test it today.

I{m really anxious to use it, I feel like a boy in christmas, with a toy with no batteries!

Best regards

Ever

jelpspeed
10-13-2008, 11:02 AM
well, at the end I had to ask a friend who is engineer to help me out with the instructions that the shopbot team provided me, but we found that the serial/usb connector was the damaged piece that was making all the problems. I bought a new one at office depot and it is working just fine.
Thanks to all of you guys for your support and advice, and of course thanks to the shopbot team.

Best regards

Ever