PDA

View Full Version : control software

cowboy1296
08-31-2018, 04:17 PM
I have avoided like the plague updating to control software 3.8?? I remember in the beginning it had lots of issue and black walnut is expensive. Has the latest gotten all of the bugs out or should i stick with 3.6??

coryatjohn
08-31-2018, 11:36 PM
Unless you have a compelling reason to change, I suggest sticking with what you have.

bleeth
09-01-2018, 08:31 AM
3.8 has absolutely no advantage over 3.6 for your machine and use.
I would stick to it (and in fact did right up until I sold my big SB)

dlcw
09-02-2018, 12:45 PM
I've always been very reluctant to upgrade my control software from 3.6. It took several years to get a fairly bug free piece of software to control the machine. I use SBLink with eCabinets ALLOT in my business. 90% or more of my CNC time is cutting cabinet parts. Starting over "beta" testing 3.8 in a production environment is not my idea of a good business decision. It seems SB puts out control software and looks for users to test it to work the bugs out. Production shops need software that has ALREADY been thoroughly tested and debugged and is bullet proof prior to upgrading. It might be OK for a hobbyist to take on this testing role but people who make a living with their machine expect a much higher level of production software.

Like you said, walnut is VERY expensive. Same applies to $100+ sheets of plywood. I can't be ruining sheets of software because of a glitch found in the software. ShopBot won't reimburse me for the trashed plywood or broken bit ($35 compression bit) because of a software bug, so I'm certainly not going to see if there are bugs in the software.

cowboy1296
09-02-2018, 12:55 PM
well yall have certainly made my mind up for me and i will stick with 3.6?