PDA

View Full Version : Trivial question on SB control software

blackhawk
05-02-2008, 09:51 AM
I am just now getting into cutting parts with my "new" used Shopbot. I am using the latest SB 3.5.9 control software. Is there a way to send the red x,y,z position/info box to the background? If the SB software is running and I pull up V carve Pro for example, that red SB window will not go away or move to the background. I have to resize my V carve window to see the entire view. Trivial, but it bugs me.

sawdust535
05-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Not sure why you're having that problem. When I open any other software, including V-Carve Pro, the red SB window is covered by whatever I opened. Maybe it might have something to do with a Windows set-up issue.

blackhawk
05-02-2008, 11:45 AM
The main SB software window goes to the background like it should. Just the red window stays locked in place. I am not sure where to look for this in my Windows setup. You would think that a Windows setup would affect all windows not just that red box.

knight_toolworks
05-02-2008, 12:20 PM
this is another reason to have two computers. one just setup to run the bot.

ed_lang
05-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Move from the "CUT" mode to the "PREVIEW" mode and you will have no trouble.

In cut mode, the SB control software has to be in total control of what is going on.

blackhawk
05-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Ed - That did the trick. Thanks.

srwtlc
05-03-2008, 11:22 AM
That's been something that has bugged me from day one too! I hate having to switch to "Preview" mode each time, so what I've done is to use my video cards multi-desktop feature. With a "Ctrl-0" I switch from one desktop to the other. One with VCP, CorelDraw, TurboCad, etc. and one with SB3. I know some will say that you shouldn't have all that stuff on/open on the computer that's running the bot, but I've been doing it for years with no problems.

There are some other programs that work too. Microsoft powertoys "Desktop Manager" and "BossKey".

harryball
05-14-2008, 09:05 PM
On this same topic sort of... why can't I Move the red control window? I can't drag it around after upgrading to .9 This is on my design machine where I do simulations so it stays in preview mode.

/RB

srwtlc
05-15-2008, 12:08 AM
Are you saying that you used to be able to drag it around? I've never been able to move that bugger. ;-)

harryball
05-15-2008, 07:50 AM
I had been able to move it in the past. I use wide screen monitors and it shows up aboutg 2/3 of the way across the screen and I would slide it to the edge. Not sure what happened but I can't move it anymore.

/RB

ted
05-17-2008, 08:34 AM
Several issues here: 1) Red Panel stays on top; 2) Red Panel not in right place on far right; and 3) New stuff coming ...

Let's do #2 first. Robert, we may need to take a look at how that panel is arranging itself on wide screens. Could you send me your screen specifics so we can check it out. It should automatically go all the way to the right side. [I'm not aware of any changes to layout in the 3.5 series, so I don't know why it seems to be behaving differently in 3.5.9.]

On #1: For safety, when the tool is connected to a ShopBot (and thus ready to move), the Red Panel which is the indication that it is "live" and the button to stop it are kept "On Top". Further, when the tool is moving, the focus (and mouse) are kept on the Red Panel so that an instant stop can be made if necessary without having to try and get the mouse to the right place. This precludes working in another program which would make it difficult to find the ShopBot Window and quickly stop. When you are in Preview Mode, there is not a safety issue and you can put any other Window on top of the Red Panel.

The position of the Red Panel is also fixed for safety. You can walk into a shop running any of the 5000+ ShopBot's in the world (whether they are running in DOS, 98, XP or Vista) and instantly know what the tool is doing and be able to Stop or Start it. This type of consistency of function is required in an industrial controller that might need quick interaction from a co-worker, supervisor, teacher, or just someone trying to help you out (and it really helps with tech support). Altering the location, color, or availability of a tool's primary indicators and safety controls might be "cool" of "jazzy", but would not make for a universally understood controller. In a sense, we are putting on the PC screen the dedicated and obvious control panel that you would have with a $100,000+ tool.

That said, the main console (grey or whatever color scheme has been applied through Windows) can be sized, moved, or hidden during operation. And, just as an aside, ShopBot can be run from a customized interface (see the Woodmode article on the website; or the "Developer" folder in your software) or a user-created shortcut button [though even with unique customization of operation, during motion of the tool, there will always be a Red Panel on the right].

And, you may be interested in #3: We hope to release a beta of a new version early next week that has some display enhancements. These include better adjustment of the Console window and separate saved arrangements for Move and Preview Mode; an improved FG system for returning to cutting in a file that was interrupted (e.g. a cutter broke); and more importantly, with the help of the Vectric guys, an enhanced new Preview Mode that shows tool paths as well as the appearance of the machined part (after selecting a cutter for the Part File).

Ted Hall, ShopBot Tools