PDA

View Full Version : Having serious mechanical issues

joelinkous
10-23-2006, 02:56 AM
Weve been moving our machine around during our shop move, and one of the X motors had moved slightly off of it's track. When we hooked up the control box and did a simple test to make sure everything was reconnected correctly, both X motors operated smoothly, but the one X motor finally hopped fully off the track. I turned off the control box, took a 2x4 and wedged it back onto the track. After powering up the control box again, I attempted to test the x/y/z movements again. When previously the Y and Z motors were running smoothly and only the X was off the track (but running good), now all of the motors pulsate ~3 times a second. The pulses power the motors only for a hair of a second (like it was moving in .05" steps), then the power fades until the next pulse.

To be sure it wasnt a problem with table to motor alignment, I released the tension springs on the motors and let the gear's teeth hang free away from the rails, and the problem still occured. Also, the power normally keeps the motors in place at all times, but I can move them with my fingers, and it only jerks to a stop with each pulse.

All of my connections between the control box and motors are secure.

After the issue occured, I opened the side of the control box case to see if any of the hardwired connections (E-Stop button, XY limit detectors and Z-Plate) were loose or pulled out, but nothing was. One thing I DID notice was on the main power panel inside labeled "44v" (the main power source of the motors?). It has what seems to be a simple Power-On LED on it and it was blinking on and off. Upon further inspection, the led in it was flickering at the exact time that the motors were pulsing.

I have no idea what I could have done to it since Ive moved the machine before and have unrailed and corrected it several times, like I mentioned before, with no problems. Because Ive never opened it before, I could never have seen if that LED was supposed to be steady or if it is supposed to blink, but it does seem that something happened when I power cycled the box that may have shorted something.

If there's any other information you need, please let me know. Since my new shop is completely unsetup, we dont intend on using the tool often, but it would be nice to figure out what the issue is.

scottj
10-23-2006, 08:40 AM
Hi Joe,

This would be a good time to call in for tech support and we can see if we can get you running again, 888-680-4466. The LED that you referred to is supposed to be on at all times, the blinking indicates that there is a short circuit on the board like a blown driver.

Scott Julian
Shopbot Support