PDA

View Full Version : X motor makes grinding noise-doesn't move

phil_o
05-06-2005, 04:55 PM
I have a bench top Shopbot, it has one X motor. The motor has stopped turning. It make a grinding noise so it is obviously still connected. I released the motor from the rack so it is not engaged and ran an MX command. It appears to be trying to move and sounds like it wants to but the gear does not rotate. What should I check first?

scott_smith
05-06-2005, 06:28 PM
If it’s a PR or PRT I’d plug the motor into the 4th driver and try a ZA and MA command. If you don’t have a 4th driver try to switch the X and Y connector at the driver board. The drivers or voltage suppressors seem to be a common problem when the motors decide to quit turning. That grinding sound may be the motor trying to turn with whatever power the dieing driver can deliver. It’s worth a shot, you did ask what to check FIRST.

phil_o
05-06-2005, 06:42 PM
Thanks, I'm always amazed at how quickly I get a response on this forum. I assumed that since the motor was still getting power that the driver was still OK. I figured it was all or nothing with a device such as a driver. I'll have to wait until Monday to try another driver.