PDA

View Full Version : Vectric Version 10

tri4sale
09-11-2019, 11:56 AM
Anyone take the plunge yet and upgrade to V10?

Any thoughts on it?

knight_toolworks
09-11-2019, 03:43 PM
debating on it. smart folders may be what I am after if I don't have to jump through folders every time I save a file or a tool path.

bobmann
09-12-2019, 09:57 AM
My VCarve Pro does not indicate that there is a new version, I did the check for new version and it said that my 9.5 was up to date.
Do you have to manually get the upgrade from Vectric?

srwtlc
09-12-2019, 11:00 AM
It hasn't been released yet.

Edited....Take that back, it just landed! ;)

scottp55
09-12-2019, 05:19 PM
Didn't know if you guys were talking Aspire or VCP.
Bought and downloaded VCP10 yesterday.....There IS no Shopbot Edition VCP anymore....so cost is expensive($500USD+tax) :(
You get it through your Vectric Portal, just like Shopbot Edition9.
If you haven't had to register through the Shopbot Portal for VCP9, do it here;
https://portal.vectric.com/shopbot/register

Steep price, but slightly ameliorated by a choice of several D&M picks, and one of your choice is free($55)....and the fact that PhotoVCarve is now included in the toolpath:)
Other pluses (OH in this one it says VCP has a texture fill....mistake no texture clipart in VCP) does have some new 2D clipart such as profiles for Moulding toolpath, and some games;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=gCu3UY6J638

Because it doesn't recognize Shopbot Edition versions....IF you have one(I had VCP9.518) then the "Migrate"function doesn't pop up like it did going from VCP8 to 9.
Thumbdrive or cloud of your latest Tool Database is needed.

Haven't really had time to go over it, as it's only on this tower at present....AND I had a VERY pleasant surprise visit for a couple hours today in my shop from a MAX owner from KY.
NICE way to break up a day!!! :)
Hope this is a help to anybody.
scott

knight_toolworks
09-12-2019, 05:26 PM
I got a email earlier about the upgrade but just now I got an email saying I am eligible for a free upgrade but the site does not show it is free. I did the last upgrade on 7/19/07 I think.

coryatjohn
09-12-2019, 11:35 PM
I just upgraded to Aspire 10. Haven't loaded the program yet but I did pay and receive a key to unlock it.

It's never free to upgrade to a major version (like 9.5 - 10). You get free updates within that major release though.

scottp55
09-13-2019, 08:14 AM
Steve,
Looks like Vectric mucked up on some e-mail notices;
https://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32774&sid=4030d49c249397f09392ea23c63796a9&start=15

tri4sale
09-13-2019, 09:30 AM
My VCarve Pro does not indicate that there is a new version, I did the check for new version and it said that my 9.5 was up to date.
Do you have to manually get the upgrade from Vectric?

yes, from the website.

Sad that they discontinued the SB version and are making people fork over a big chunk of change to upgrade... I thought the only difference was the lack of other post processors.

knight_toolworks
09-13-2019, 10:15 AM
ya I figured that.
Steve,
Looks like Vectric mucked up on some e-mail notices;
https://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32774&sid=4030d49c249397f09392ea23c63796a9&start=15

bobmann
09-16-2019, 10:04 AM
yes, from the website.

Sad that they discontinued the SB version and are making people fork over a big chunk of change to upgrade... I thought the only difference was the lack of other post processors.

What is really sad is that those of us who have recently purchased a machine with the software were promised free upgrades for a year were misled, whether intentional or not.

I am hopeful that SB and Vectric will do the right thing and honor their promise. It sounds like they are working on a solution.

jburklow
10-01-2019, 07:22 PM
so have there been any announcements on this (what I consider) debacle? they do all the announcements and previews of the product then screw up the roll out. Now I don't even have access to upgrade to VCarve Pro 10 my only upgrade is to pay $1400 for aspire from the Shopbot version of VCarve Pro 9.5. you would have thought that someone would have said hey what about all those shopbot users??? while I would love to go to Aspire just can't cough up $1400 bucks...

Brady Watson
10-01-2019, 07:41 PM
Latest info regarding Shopbot Edition: http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?25156-Info-on-upgrading-VCarvePro-ShopBot-Edition-to-VCarvePro-v10&highlight=Shopbot+edition

Steve Wonser
10-23-2019, 08:11 PM
Has there been any update on this?

Bill Young's post "Info on upgrading VCarvePro ShopBot Edition to VCarvePro v10" was on September 14.

Thanks,
Steve

JimDav
10-23-2019, 08:45 PM
I just purchased VCarve 10 yesterday $175 per email of Sept 13. "To purchase your upgrade today simply login to your V&CO account using your registered e-mail address and follow the instructions on your dashboard. https://portal.vectric.com/login Haven't installed it yet.

scottp55
10-24-2019, 10:29 AM
Jim,
What version VCP Shopbot Edition did you upgrade from? I only had one $500 option when I logged in and bought:(

Steve,
Can you let me know what you see for price when you log in?

Thanks,
scott

jTr
10-24-2019, 11:09 AM
Scott,
I'm there right now, and after reading this full thread, I think things are sorted and very clear now.

Here's what I'm given for options:

- VCP Shopbot 8.5 > VCP Shopbot 9.5 $ 175.00 (Interesting - they appear to still be catering to Shopbot users here...)
- VCP Shopbot 8.5 > VCPro 10 $ 500.00
- VCP Shopbot 8.5 > Aspire $ 1,400.00

Though it's likely been explained elsewhere, I'm not sure all the differences between VCP Shopbot 9.5 and VCPro 10. Kind of a big jump, as I don't feel like I'm missing any functionality, though I'd better research the 9.5 - 10 difference to see if the $325 opens unrealized doors / flexibility to justify.

While some angst has been expressed here, I'm relieved to see the cost of upgrading to Aspire is same as it has been since I bought the machine 7 years ago.

All looks reasonably fair from my perspective. Again, don't feel I'm missing any functionality, but also compelled to at least take some step forward, or risk higher costs by waiting.

Anyone have any links/direction to discussions about VCP SB 8.5 versus VCPro 10, please post.

Thanks to all for this thread - prompting me to asses a vital part of my productivity, as we all should.

jeff

jTr
10-24-2019, 11:20 AM
Jim,

I just purchased VCarve 10 yesterday $175 per email of Sept 13.

What version were you upgrading from?
From what I'm reading, I'd double check - are you sure you got VCP 10, or did you go from 8.5-9.5?
Curious to see what 9.5-10 would be - maybe this is lower if you stepped from 8.5 to 9.5 a while ago?

I guess that's the only area that's a little muddy for me, based on Jim's experience.

jeff

scottp55
10-24-2019, 11:40 AM
Thanks Jeff!
I went from Shopbot Edition VCP 9.518 to 10 ($500)(interesting that just this week they posted a Shopbot Edition Patch to V9.519)

I think a jump from 8.5 to 9.519 at $175 was worth it just for some drawing aids and the 2-sided visualization and drawing.....it took me a bit to get instinctive with some of the different Icon swaps...
BUT just did a file for a friend with 8.5 in 8.5...and really missed having some of the 9.5 features in drawing!!

One of the features I wanted in VCP 10 was the "New Raster" option which supposedly reduced Jumping around in 3D toolpaths....it was HORRIBLE in first V10, and had to turn "Use New Raster" OFF.
Since last Patch where they addressed it, it's much better, so it's now turned On...but I do pretty funky 3Ds on firewood/branches....so it's not as effective as when used a Flat or Dished model.
There are some Game 2D profiles included(cribbage and such), and some standard profiles for use in the Moulding toolpath, but haven't gone into the Moulding toolpath as much as I should.

"Favorite Fonts" showing up as first fonts in font list(and being able to change # of Favorites shown is good for me)
Being able to use more than 1 tool for "Clearing" is a nice feature...multiple Clearing bits are allowed.
Lots of little things, but nothing truly groundbreaking in VCP 10....Except being able to see files of what some of the Vectric forum members are doing with the tools is sometimes an "AH-Ha" moment:)

9.5 at that price is worth it I feel, but who knows what VCP10.5 will bring....It was a tough decision to pony$500 up, but now I'm the same as all other Vectric Users, and no waiting around for weeks/months for the Shopbot Edition to filter down to us anymore:)

Thanks again Jeff!
scott

jTr
10-24-2019, 11:51 AM
It was a tough decision to pony$500 up, but now I'm the same as all other Vectric Users

Exactly what I'm feeling - not sure if I want to sit in SB mode (redheaded stepchild??...:eek:) or "graduate" to a grown-up Vectric client.
HA!

Jeff

JimDav
10-24-2019, 12:59 PM
Jim,
What version VCP Shopbot Edition did you upgrade from? I only had one $500 option when I logged in and bought:(

Steve,
Can you let me know what you see for price when you log in?

Thanks,
scott

9.0 To be honest, Their web page lacks clarity.

I just went to the web page and I do not see the link. Hope the upgrade works. I'll try to do it tonight. What I saw is what jTr posted at 11:09 AM (Next post down.)

The primary reason I upgrade (since I don't really need the 'new' features) was to be on a fairly new version. With an IT background I pretty much believe in staying within 1 or 2 upgrade versions of any software. Beyond that changes to file structure, etc., might make it near impossible to move up potentially.

JimDav
10-24-2019, 03:09 PM
Just installed the $175 VCarvePro V10 upgrade from 9.0. All went well. There is a patch available to get to 10.012. Brought it up- all was fine. Accessed a crv file.

Incidentally, the verbage on the order reference says "Thank you for your purchase of VCarve Pro Upgrade From Older Version. ". To me, that implies any previously installed versions.

Go get it before someone changes their mind.

tomkk
10-24-2019, 10:18 PM
I have 9.5.1.9 and my available upgrade to 10 is listed at 500 dollars. I wish someone could explain why some people can get it for 175 and others 500

scottp55
10-25-2019, 08:44 AM
Jim,
In that quote....there's no mention of "Shopbot Edition" like I remember on mine.
Can't remember if you bought your 'Bot new or used?
Is there a possibility at some point, that somebody upgraded to Full VCP so it could be used with multiple brands of machines?
I've been Shopbot Edition since VCP7, and bought 9 through the Portal when I went up from Shopbot Edition 8.5** to Shopbot Edition 9 for $175.

Just wondering if that's why you got the regular $175 VCP upgrade.
Unlike Jeff,Tom, and I who didn't see/have that option.
scott

Jeff.....shortly will be Attempting a small stand with thru tenons, and going to house the shelves as well with a stopped mortise....first ever attempt at furniture....be GLAD to be able to rotate the sides of the mobile stand for Dad's memorial after pressing "Preview toolpaths both sides" and rotate preview all around both sides to make sure I don't muck it up:) :)
scott

Steve Wonser
10-25-2019, 02:18 PM
I just checked my upgrade on the Vectric portal and it is $500, not $175 like I have been paying for upgrades in the past. I'm really disappointed!

"ShopBot always strive to provide the best service they can and it is a source of regret for Vectric that a very positive, and usually well-received, upgrade policy has resulted in a negative experience for some ShopBot customers this week. Both companies are currently working together to try and provide the best solution we possibly can to this issue on behalf of our customers and we appreciate your patience in the meantime."

What happened ShopBot? $325 extra for virtually nothing! Not a very good solution for your loyal customers. Well, I guess the $325 does provide a path for using the software on other machines.

JimDav
10-25-2019, 08:15 PM
Scott: My software has always been a Shopbot Vcarve version. Plus I purchased my own license when I bought it used.

Been nosing around the Vectric portal again and found something interesting.

This entire situation is mind boggling. Sorry, I don’t remember specifically how I got mine but maybe this will help. I’m now on this page https://www.vectric.com/upgrade/vcarve-pro

There I see on the left a block saying:
“One Price to Upgrade
Regardless of your current version, the price is the same to upgrade to the latest version.”
Below that in a blue band “$175 / £135 / €170 (excludes local taxes)” Download Free Trial

tomkk
10-25-2019, 10:50 PM
Jim I tried that box and it took me back to $500.00 . Sure wish someone from Shopbot or Vectric would explain the difference

Thanks

jTr
11-25-2019, 10:27 AM
Update 11-25-19: Looks like all intermediate steps are now eliminated.
Either VCP-10 for $500
or Aspire for $1400

FYI - FWIW

I waited a little too long, but the 9.5 was kind of silly, as you'd upgrade, yet remain outdated.

It is what it is.

jTr
11-25-2019, 11:02 AM
If I upgrade to VCP-10 now, and decide to bump up to full on Aspire in the near future, is it still a $1,400 upcharge? Anyone with VCP-10 able to tell if that's the case?

Seems a waste of money to stick with VCP-10 at $500 if I'm still going to get a $1,400 hit for a later upgrade to Aspire. At this rate, I'll have paid Vectric $2,500 for $2,000 worth of software.

Paid so far since purchasing my machine:
$600 (with Shopbot)
$500 (If I go VCP-10 now)
= $1,100 for a $600 piece of software.

OR:
$600 (original purchase)
$1,400 (ASPIRE 10 upgrade)
= $2,000 = for a $2,000 piece of software.

Easy to see what Vectric is encouraging us all to do.

Not discussing fairness, not complaining - this is an essential "tool" and the value of the software is certainly very, very great.

Just trying to decide if I want to pay $500 for things to remain unchanged (for the most part) or go full on $1,400 for the end-all-do-all , once and for all flagship offering from Vectric. (Not counting inevitable future upgrades and costs)

I know what I want to do, just have other urgent tooling investments lined up right now...

scottp55
11-25-2019, 11:17 AM
Hey Jeff,
I Have VCP10 now, and this is what my Upgrade page on my Vectric Portal looks like today.

coryatjohn
11-25-2019, 07:22 PM
I had that same decision maybe five years ago. I decided to upgrade to Aspire. I can't remember the amount but I don't think it was $1300. Upgrading from 9 to 10 was $400 or something like that so your spending won't end once you get Aspire. They charge for every major release.

tlempicke
11-26-2019, 07:18 AM
I took advantage of an offer a couple of years back and upgraded to Aspire. You are just going to have to figure that there will be an expense of $400 to $500 every 18 months or so for the new and improved version. I will say that V10 is pretty nifty. Over the years they have turned this into a really intuitive program. You can choose to download projects or create your own. The software is relatively easy to work with and well supported.

As far as the different prices that is just modern day marketing. Why should my zip code determine what price I pay for a car? Well it does! I guess the same is true for software. If the computer on the other end believes you are in England one price, if it thinks you are a Yankee, another. I have a VPN and get a real kick out of shopping for airline tickets and using a repeater in England or Spain. The difference in price is astounding. A $1400 dollar U.S. ticket can be bought in England for $400. Same airline, same seat.