PDA

View Full Version : Trying to pocket

fishermantink
10-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Hi, I recently purchased a PRS 32 Alpha, so I have been doing small things here and there to get familiar with the machine. I have been having a problem trying to make a pocket with raised letting in the center. I start off by writing a few words of text and then putting a circle around it. The text seems to work fine, but when it goes to start pocketing out the circle, it will cut a figure 8 looking cut, then stops. I am not sure if it is operator error or not. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Mike

myxpykalix
10-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Maybe if you post a picture might help, but if its what i think you are doing, you need to make a circle at the outside boundry of your round material.

Then select both the circle and the text and select pocket toolpath. That gives it the outside deminsion to cut to (with the circle) and the inside deminsion to cut around (with the letters).
If you are doing this and still having problems post a picture or the file for clarification.

fishermantink
10-20-2008, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the response. I placed a circle around the text, and it still happens. I have attached a screen capture of what it looks like in PartWorks, and what the simulated picture looks like when I convert the file in the ShopBot program. It cuts exactly like the simulation. Thanks

dana_swift
10-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Michael, I dont know which toolpath tool you are using, but it appears to be the wrong one for the job.

Leaving raised lettering in a pocket is feature I have used plenty of times, so the program will do what you want. What you need to use is the pocket toolpath tool. If you select the limit "wall" of the pocket AND the text it will pocket out between the two. Then tell it to clear that area. It will leave the text in the middle "sticking out".

See if that helps

D

fishermantink
10-20-2008, 11:07 PM
D,

Thanks, I am begining to think it is a software issue. I tried what you said a couple of times, and it does the same thing. I am going to reload the software and see if that helps. Thanks

Mike

dana_swift
10-21-2008, 12:03 AM
I thought of one more thing it could be- when you save your toolpaths in PW is your post processor set for "ShopBot (arcs)(inch)(alpha)(*.sbp)". If you are not using the correct post processor for your bot you could get some strange results.

If it isn't that, then the next thing you need to do is look at the SBP file that is being generated to see if the problem is on the PW side or the SB3 side. At least then you have a better grip where the problem seems to be.

If you havent looked at an SBP file yet, its just plain text and is fairly easy to see what is going on with the motion commands recorded there. No reason to be afraid of opening it up and having a peek.

My current bet is the correct post processor is not selected. Whatever it turns out to be, when you figure out what it is, it will be one of a zillion little puzzles we learn to solve when using all these high tech tools.

D

fishermantink
10-21-2008, 12:40 AM
D,

I found where the motion commands in the SBP file were wrong, I just didn't know how to add all the correct movments to fix it so that I can make a complete cicle. As for the post processor, this might sound kind of dumb, but how do I find that in order to check if it is correct?

Mike

myxpykalix
10-21-2008, 01:29 AM
In partwizard when you go to save your toolpath
you see a dropdown box in the lower right that says "machine output file is formatted for:" and in the dropdown menu it should have a postprocessor for "shopbot arc inch" you use that one to save your file under, or the appropriate one for your specific machine.