PDA

View Full Version : All at once?

woodturner
09-26-2009, 05:23 PM
Looking for input please. I have not run my 'bot (alpha 5x10, 4 yrs. old or so, virtually no use on it, two spindles and an air drill) for several months then decided to use it for some prototype work. Meaning, one or two parts, make changes, run one or to more. This included some very small plastic parts clamped in jigs, run very slow. That's the background.

For the past two weeks it has been predictable for the most part. A few lost positions or not responding to a "S" stop command. Not unusual for my machine which seems to suffer a lot of inexplicable glitches. Now, in the past two days more weird happenings. The "Z-Zero" routine loses communication and shuts down, then works fine 3 or 4 times in a row, then stops again. I'm running a file and it stops moving in x&y but the bit is still turning (trying to start a fire) and I run to stop it, but it won't take the command, lost communication. USB is checked and is tight.

Also, to run a small part I move the head to the part blank and give it new X&Y&Z positions. Then when I run the file, it jogs to the wrong place because it arbitrarily changed the X and Y. I then have to re-set it again and it runs fine.

These have all happened several times. Today, I started a file that was "posted" to run head #1. When I hit the start button, it turned on spindle #2. Then I cancelled and it shut itself down (software). When I re-booted, It gave me error messages of speeds set below limits. I don't know how they dropped out like that, but when I tried to re-set them, it just gave more errors. I had to shut it down again, and had to fight it to get into the VS and raise the speeds to acceptable levels before it got into the error message loop. Then, I ran the same (untouched) file again, and it started the correct head and ran fine 4 times.

For what it's worth, the machine is running three phase, hard wired to a grounded disconnect, which is hard wired (via "home run") to panel. No dust collector was being used, nor was vacuum pump. In fact no other machines were running in the shop. Just lights.

Other than gremlins, I don't see a pattern to trace. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

benchmench
09-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Ed,

"loss of communication" problems can be caused by static build up - a real gremlin at times - make sure you are grounded correctly.

When you zero your X and Y, make sure you are pressing "Z2" and not "ZT" (Zero table base coordinates). This might explain why the spindle jogs to the wrong place.

Good luck!
-------------------------------------------
www.carvedsignstudio.com (http://www.carvedsignstudio.com)
www.craftsmancnc.com (http://www.craftsmancnc.com)

woodturner
09-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks Dan. I will see if anything came loose with the ground, but I doubt it. With regard to the xyz, I position the tool manually (using fixed steps when I get close) and change each one individually by clicking on the position display on the right of the screen. An example would be locating the tool at 4,4,0 since that's where I programmed the path to start. I reality, the tool is hanging off the left edge where I can clamp the part. So I take it there until the bit just kisses the blank, compensate for the bit dia. and enter the new dimension. Then, as I said, it might jog to the safe position programmed, then jog into the prox. switch if I can't stop it fast enough. I then repeat the entire process and it works fine. Go figure!

Thanks again!

steve4460
09-27-2009, 08:51 PM
What version of the control software are you running ?. Is the computer hooked up to the internet ?. If possible reinstall the latest control software and upgrade the firmware .make shure nothing else is running in the background .

bot on

www.windwardsigns.com (http://www.windwardsigns.com)

woodturner
09-27-2009, 09:20 PM
Thanks Stephan. 3.5.20, Never seen the internet. NOTHING on it but XP and SB. Maybe I'll try the re-install.

ken_rychlik
09-27-2009, 11:11 PM
You might try UT command and do the speed test on your usb connection.

Kenneth