PDA

View Full Version : Proximity switch messages

steve
03-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Well it's together , steppers all run... in the right direction! Spindles turn OK.
However every time I give a command to move or jog I get a proximity switch hit message , even though it is not even close to any switches. I even get the message when I move the A , Z , or B axis?
The switches are wired correctly ( by the book), machine is grounded (by the book) and the switches are on (lit ) . OH yea when the cars do cross a switch they don't stop. I expect I missed something but need help finding out what ! suggestions please!

ryan_slaback
03-12-2008, 06:48 PM
stephen,
They are wired backwards. They should not be on (glowing) all the time. Only when they are near something. Your bot thinks it is at its limits all the time.

Gary Campbell
03-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Stephen..
What model machine?

steve
03-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Gary , it's a prs alpha ,Ryan , thanks , that makes sense. I guess I should switch the grounds and input wires?

Gary Campbell
03-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Stephen..
On your console.. check the [V] [N] settings for switches 2 & 3 they should be set to [2] normally closed
Gary

steve
03-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Gary , that's where there at.

Gary Campbell
03-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Stephen..
can you confirm that the switches are wired to the control panel board following this tech post from the SB website? http://www.shopbottools.com/posts_%26_messages.htm
Gary

srwtlc
03-13-2008, 12:54 AM
Stephen,

The new NC switches are supposed to be lit normally and go out when tripped (unless they changed them again). Check to be sure that you have them set with the proper clearance between them and the targets. I had to set them much closer than stated in the manual to get them to trip consistently.

steve
03-13-2008, 07:14 AM
Gary,
Yes , I just checked again and they are wired as in the picture.
Scott, they are set very close , one X target I can only get a sheet of paper between.

tvonschimo
03-13-2008, 08:22 AM
I had similar problem caused by one of the 3 wires getting disconnected/split in the middle of the cable (The cable got accidentally caught/stretched). The sensor light would still turn on and off when hitting the target, but the control box would not receive the signal. If the problem is within the wiring it is hard to detect the exact point of the problem, but most probably you would find it at the point it is mended.

steve
03-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Thanks Thomas ,
I did add about 4 feet to the Y switch wire so it would reach the box. I soldered the splice to make sure of a good connection . I just tried wiring in the input at the solder point , same thing , light goes out at the switch , car doesn't stop , same as the x switch!
Tried air cutting a file , cuts fine expect for starting , I get that hit prox switch message.

steve
03-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Thanks to Frank at Shopbot , figured it out in a jiff , bad switch on the X. Set input 2 to standard switch untill new switch arrives.
Thanks everyone for your help.