PDA

View Full Version : USB Driver ?

trenton
10-25-2005, 09:37 PM
I'm trying to use the Shop Bot with my laptop instead of my Desktop. The Bot works fine on the desktop but not on the laptop.I followed the same installation process, the problem seems to be the driver for the USB, what driver needs to be installed? For the Desktop it's a ser2pl, I've tried everything to install ser2pl to the laptops USB device drive.

Why does'nt the laptop know what driver to use? Or is there a different problem

dvanr
10-25-2005, 11:03 PM
Does your laptop have a com port?

I believe the SB3 software is designed to use the com port. The USB interface merely maps the com port(RS232) on the computer to a USB port. AT the alpha control box it is converted back to RS232 serial data with a hardware adaptor.

Check <RC>My Computer,<LC>properties,<LC>Hardware,<LC>Device manager,<LC>ports (COMM&LPT)

On my laptop I only see LPT

richards
10-26-2005, 09:23 AM
I'm assuming that you have an Alpha. Have you installed the USB to Serial driver software came with the machine?

trenton
10-26-2005, 09:06 PM
Yes, Thank You...

I figured it must have been the driver, and it was. It's been about a year since installing the programs,I had forgoten the ATEN Driver Cd that came with the machine. Now I'm up and running with the laptop.

Thank You guys so much for the rappid responce !!!

emco_dynatorq
10-16-2006, 12:44 AM
I have a PRT Alpha 96 . Somehow the machine works perfectly using a Lap Top Computer. However when I connect the same to a Desktop computer , when the spindle motor runs the X , Y and Z axis motor do not run. When the axis motors work the spindle motor does not run. I feel there seems to be an issue with the IO gear USB driver. I have tried running the machine with three different desktop computers and somehow the same problem keeps reocuuring with a message "" Timer Overrun - No return value "" .Can anyone help.

Brady Watson
10-16-2006, 09:55 AM
Contact ShopBot Support.

-B

steve4460
10-16-2006, 09:56 AM
Remove the usb ports in the device manager then reboot and let windows find the ports and install the drivers for them . Sometimes you have to do that twice before it works .
Good luck

emco_dynatorq
10-17-2006, 07:34 AM
it seems that when the spindle motor is running the axis motors do not work. When the spindle motor is not on then the axis motors work. The communication is lost when the spindle motor is started. As long as the spindle motor is not on the axis motors are operational. Seems that the electrical noise caused by the spindle motor makes the communication between the control box and computer inoperational.

It works fine with one particular lap top only. I tried running the machine with another lap top and three desktop computers but does not work.

I somehow fail to understand as to how it works with one computer and not with the other four.

Any suggestions.

Brady Watson
10-17-2006, 10:09 AM
I'm gonna take a wild guess here...Are you running a single phase spindle?

emco_dynatorq
10-17-2006, 11:49 AM
No I am running a five HP Colombo Three Phase - 380 volt spindle. I am in touch with Shop Bot customer support. I live in India and the machine is here. I would think that Shop Bot should supply machines for exports with computer. It is becoming crazy trying to run the machine with different computers and figure out which works.It is not that we are not familiar with CNC machines. In fact I have nine CNC metal working machines which use Fanuc Servo Motors. In fact the spindle motors for all nine machines are also a Servo motor. I have never experienced such problems with my CNC machines.