PDA

View Full Version : Arc vs. Line

olchad
09-23-2009, 04:15 PM
I generated a toolpath from a .dxf file created in SolidWorks using PartWizard2. There is a feature in the family of parts being cut out consisting of a line, a sharp corner, a short line, a 1/4" radius corner and another line. See illustrations. The feature is repeated many times properly, but on three places the short line is an arc. Any idea what is causing it?

olchad
09-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Should I be considering a change to Vectric Cut 2D? Other software? I don't want to become an expert at solving PartWizard/ShopBot issues...

tmerrill
09-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Malcolm,

I haven't used PartWizard since the first Vectric product was released. And I haven't regretted it at all.

I would recommend you consider Partworks/V-Carve Pro (same program, just Partworks can only use ShopBot post processors) before Cut2D. Cut2D was designed to be a toolpathing program with the design work already done in another program like AutoCAD, CorelDraw or TurboCAD to name a few. On its own, Cut2D has limited drawing and design tools.

There is a comparison chart on the Vectric website that would be a good place to start. You can also download and try a full featured version of the program. The only limitation is you can't toolpath and cut any new files you create (unless you eventually purchase the program, then you can toolpath and cut files created on that computer with the trial edition). But you can toolpath and cut the included sample files to see how your machine does.

Good luck with your decision.

Tim

scott_smith
09-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Most of the parts are good with a few bad? Sounds like a mechanical problem with the machine not a software issue. Check the rails and gear track in that area for something loose or binding. You haven't told us anything about the machine your cutting on. I'd also recommend the Vectric products but it doesn't look like that's your current problem. I could be wrong.

khalid
09-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Are you using shopbot controller software or Mach3? In Mach3 you have to turnoff CV mode to get the sharp corners..

----------------------------------------
http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/