PDA

View Full Version : Step Motor Problem

unicraft
12-19-2004, 01:45 PM
The A axis (Z tandem system) started to respond in a wrong way to manual and auto commands. It randomly doesn't lift, lifts and lowers erraticly, doesn't lower properly. I was scared thinking the motherboard was burned, so I tried to connect the Z step motor to the A wire and worked perfect. So the problem is in the step motor of the A axis. Is there a way to fix it? I am in the middle of a big order to finish this week. Thanks for your advice

Ryan Patterson
12-19-2004, 05:46 PM
Hugo,
Check the wires there might be a loose connection.

uniguard@pamlico.net
12-19-2004, 06:13 PM
Hugo,

A few months ago I had a problem where my steppers were acting erraticly. I check everything and finally called Shopbot. They walked me throgh everthing and it turned out that my router (PC) was starting to short out. I changed the router and everthing worked fine. You may have already done this but try running the machine with the router unplugged.

unicraft
12-19-2004, 06:31 PM
the stepper doesn't work well even without the router in the Z tandem carriage. I tried that to light the weight (just in case).

I will try checking the wires in the stepper. I've checked the wires going to the control box connecting them to the Z stepper and worked fine.

It could be a loose wire inside of the stepper?

elcruisr
12-19-2004, 06:45 PM
On two occasions I had something like this. On one occasion it was a bad ground wire connection and on the other it was a bad wire connection in the plug on the motor. You might try to check for good clean ground connections and then try removing and reseating the wires in the connectors. If that dosn't help call the support staff on Monday and they will help you sort it out.

Eric

unicraft
12-20-2004, 06:26 AM
Thanx Eric,
I will give me last chance checking the bad wire connection before call them

Hugo

unicraft
12-20-2004, 10:24 AM
OK!!!!!!!!!
There was a bad wire connection, THANK YOU GUYS!!

Hugo

alabama_davo
07-10-2006, 06:37 PM
Z axis "Growling" and just started making this sound. I have been cutting files for 4 days straight and I changed bits and when I went to Zero the Z axis the growling started. It still moves and reaches the proper depths...any suggestions?

paco
07-11-2006, 12:23 AM
Is it still "Growling" if you disengage the Z motor from the rack?

Is it only "Growling" when going down or up?

Is it lubed?!

dhunt
07-11-2006, 05:31 PM
a blown driver?

alabama_davo
07-18-2006, 11:15 AM
Hey guys,
The answer is.....BAKED voltage supressors!
Mr. Frank Smith @ ShopBot technical support walked me through some diagnostics and tried using the A (aux) channel and still had issues. Upon further review, ( with a magnifing light) I found a "hot" spot on the A chanel and we decided to "clip" the supressors out of the loop (on the Aux channel) and it now works fine! YEA!!!Thank you Frank. He is sending me 4 of the little diode looking things and at least I can continue running.

Thank you guys for your input.

gerald_d
07-18-2006, 12:34 PM
...this is what Bill Thorpe was talking about on Sunday.
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/show.cgi?tpc=7&post=37859#POST37859